What did you do with your flock today?

Made my omelet. I didn't get egg #9, so it was only an eight egg omelet. Cheddar cheese, Frank's Red Hot sauce and lots of fresh herbs from my garden. It was a tasty, healthy late lunch for a quiet Sunday.

IMG_2368.JPG

Yes! Courgettes and zucchini are the same thing. Although some we picked yesterday are approaching marrow-sized!
I've got a courgette and shallot relish to try and I'm going to make chocolate courgette cake later. I've also got some piccalilli on the go. I'm making a filo pie with grated courgette, feta and almonds later in the week. Mock apple pie sounds intriguing.
Oh, yummy! Chocolate anything is delicious. I like my zucchini around 15-20 cm., but there are always the ones that hide and become giants.

It has rained solidly for 48 hours! I went outside at about 10a.m. to check on everyone and saw Stan outside the run, looking more like a drowned rat than a chicken. My first thought was that Ferdy had sent him to the naughty step again. I then went into the run. The girls were bone dry. Ferdy, however, was as soaked as Stan. Scooped them both up and put them straight in a warm bath, then towelled off and blow dried. When i watched my security camera footage, it appeared they had been taking turns to patrol the garden after the falcon returned and took a young starling. So proud of them for working together!

This is what they looked like:View attachment 3586010View attachment 3586015

And post bath:View attachment 3586012View attachment 3586013View attachment 3586014

Stanley did really well for his first bath and blow dry. Just a bit of anxious moaning while he was getting a pedicure.
Ferdy is an old hand with it, of course. I might as well be bathing a stuffed toy! Think he might have been a calming influence on Stan. Stan's nearly 9 moths now but no where near as chilled as his dad.
What good boys you have. Dad is teaching son well.

Well the naked neck ladies all went to their new home today. Or almost. Somehow I managed to miss one. We were talking and there were a lot of chickens to catch. After my friend left, I went back to tidy the coop and there she was wandering around wondering where everyone went. Guessing she was in a nest box or behind the feed and we were talking too much to notice. Shes a pretty girl.

I posted four peafowl for sale yesterday and have people coming tomorrow. So tonight I let them settle into bed and used a step ladder to reach the girl they want. Put her in the baby peas integration pen since they're not using it yet. Shes not happy but it's temporary and beats the heck out of trying to convince her to let me pick her up during the day when there's so many places I can't reach in there. 😂 She's friendly but doesn't like to be picked up at all! Remember Magic? Shes the only silver pied I kept from last year. She sure grew up well. ❤️ She wasn't listed in the ad but the lady asked and I decided to let her go. Kinda wishing I'd said no 😕.
Here she is in the integration pen wondering what's going on.
View attachment 3585933
What a pretty girl! Now that you have less, will you add more?

Minimal chicken tending today. Its 80, but hot in the sun. Checked eggs, got 9, no evidence of eaten ones. Going to check crab 🦀 pots with DH this afternoon. Velma was almost hard to distinguish from the other chickens, as she was right there with the others during treat time, and with her head down, I almost missed her until I counted 4 brown chickens instead of the usual 3. 😄

Back
Top Bottom