What did you do with your flock today?

Me wife scrambled up about 10 dozen eggs for the kids and they wolfed them down like I had never fed them before. One roo will jump flat footed to get a head start at the big metal bowl I take them out in. I think I'll use a 5 gallon bucket from now own. I think the girls are slowing down in the nest boxes now in this intense heat. Days like today make me wish for big barns with AC for my feathered kids.

Had three more peachicks hatch. Two black shoulder and one white. I'm outside enjoying the morning but will get pictures of them together later. That's the last of friends eggs and I'm hoping the peas have wrapped up laying for the year. It's nice seeing the incubator starting to empty.

Started making a chess table for my youngest. Wanted something special she could take with her when she heads off for college in August. She likes chess and it's small so easy to take with. Started with a $2 yard sell find. Long ways to go but happy with how it's coming along.View attachment 3557425
Beautiful table! 😍😍

I just spent the evening with my ten chickens. I'm starting a routine of going outside with my guitar and playing, not so much for them but because I need to start playing more to get my fingers in shape. I haven't played it for over a year, since I bought my house, and I need to start getting musical again.

And it is nice having an audience! LOL

I guit picked for an hour or so, then just sat and watched them and relaxed. I shooed them back into the run earlier than they liked, 8PM, but I was ready to call it a night.

I fed them a nice treat tonight, something they haven't had before. Little pieces of cooked pork loin. Like any type of meat, they loved it.

I'm planning to switch their feed from crumbles to pellets, but it might be hard finding what I want. They're eating 20% starter/grower crumbles now. I'd like to find pellets, small size preferably, that are 18% to 20% protein, but not layer feed with the calcium. I don't think my local store has what I want.

Anyway, I had a nice evening with the birds.

What a gorgeous table and idea ♡♡♡ what have you done so far and what are your plans? Please keep me posted as I love this kind of stuff ♡♡♡
So far just sanded it semi down and started the wood burning. I was going to design the chess board into the top but she wants it with a full design. It has a drawer for holding the chess pieces since she's already learned that her kitty finds chess pieces irresistible 🤣. But the drawer rails are warped so I'll try shaving it back to level and if that fails I'll replace the rails. Found a pretty drawer knob already. ❤️ I'll use different color stains and the wood burning to make the design pop out and add some wood hardener to the top right before I stain. And using marine spar varnish since it's for a young lady still prone to spilling beverages occasionally. 🤣 I won't have time to sand the varnish back to satin since it has to cure for a few months before that works well. But I can do that at a later date. Only a month to get it done so going to have to work on it at least some every day!
I just spent the evening with my ten chickens. I'm starting a routine of going outside with my guitar and playing, not so much for them but because I need to start playing more to get my fingers in shape. I haven't played it for over a year, since I bought my house, and I need to start getting musical again.

I guit picked for an hour or so, then just sat and watched them and relaxed. I shooed them back into the run earlier than they liked, 8PM, but I was ready to call it a night.

I fed them a nice treat tonight, something they haven't had before. Little pieces of cooked pork loin. Like any type of meat, they loved it.

I'm planning to switch their feed from crumbles to pellets, but it might be hard finding what I want. They're eating 20% starter/grower crumbles now. I'd like to find pellets, small size preferably, that are 18% to 20% protein, but not layer feed with the calcium. I don't think my local store has what I want.

Your guitar time with the chickens sounds so enjoyable! Are your fingers getting sore or did you still have some callus left from before your year hiatus? Some lucky chickens you have there ❤️

If your feed store has all flock available...you can usually get that in a range of protein upto 22% I believe. Might be what your looking for.

Last edited:
I saw a cinnabar moth on the back of my house last year, so I guess there must have been some tansy ragwort in the area then. Wikipedia says that the Cinnabar moth was introduced to North America specifically for ragwort control. Interesting!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar_moth
Very interesting! I've seen the caterpillars feed on other things like groundsel too. They are very pretty caterpillars and lovely moths. I used to see a lot of them and six-spot burnet moths as a child but they're quite a rare sight these days.

Sounds like a blissful evening!
Mine are very keen on a small tin of sardines in oil mixed with finely chopped kale, oregano and mixed grains. They get it about once every 2-3 weeks.
Over here, we can get a bantam-size pellet. It's actually a food from Belgium. I buy the version with mixed grains and pellets, which is pretty low in calcium. My birds will not eat pellets AT ALL and all-flock isn't available here so it's about the best I can get to suit everyone. I figure some high protein treats a few times a week probably ups their protein levels enough. They're all in good health and my girls are 2, 3 and 4.5 years old and all lay daily.

Last edited:
So far just sanded it semi down and started the wood burning. I was going to design the chess board into the top but she wants it with a full design. It has a drawer for holding the chess pieces since she's already learned that her kitty finds chess pieces irresistible 🤣. But the drawer rails are warped so I'll try shaving it back to level and if that fails I'll replace the rails. Found a pretty drawer knob already. ❤️ I'll use different color stains and the wood burning to make the design pop out and add some wood hardener to the top right before I stain. And using marine spar varnish since it's for a young lady still prone to spilling beverages occasionally. 🤣 I won't have time to sand the varnish back to satin since it has to cure for a few months before that works well. But I can do that at a later date. Only a month to get it done so going to have to work on it at least some every day!

Your guitar time with the chickens sounds so enjoyable! Are your fingers getting sore or did you still have some callus left from before your year hiatus? Some lucky chickens you have there ❤️

If your feed store has all flock available...you can usually get that in a range of protein upto 22% I believe. Might be what your looking for.
That is beautiful work! I recently bought a butane powered Dremel soldering iron. It also has a hot cutter for plastic and can also be used for pyrography. I had a quick go with one of the pyrography tips last week. I can see lots of possibilities and will have a serious go when I have more time. Doubt I'll be anywhere near your standard for a long,long time though...if ever! 😂

Sorry I've been away for so long yall...between these grandbabies and my Bearded Babies I'm exhausted and limiting my time on the phone so I go to God more for strength and guidance as opposed to social media which has whole set of issues for me!
Anyways wanted to let yall know I took in fecal samples to the vet yesterday that bought our house and has helped us with so many of our pets through the years!
I was thinking some kinda worm was what I was dealing with...nope they said coccidia positive.
So from what I'm reading and researching there is a "normal" amount of coccidia in the flora of their gut...but it's when there's too much that there is a problem?
Am I understanding this right?
I've got the Corid and going to begin treating them today.
I'm wondering about the ground if there is anything I need to do pertaining to it.
The run was completely cleaned out after Lizzie having to be put down from auto immune reproductive issues which made her succumb to several other things.
I'm guessing she probably had this on top of all of that too.
So DE and fresh pine shavings are in the run and I'm raking through it all every day or so.
Anything I'm missing?
Last year when the Buff Silkies were born they got coccidia cuz I had a hatch 5 days apart with cochins and I thought I was being wise in placing the cochins 5 days older down in run brooder...but when I brought them back it must have introduced coccidia to the silkies.
Could the damp area I am dealing with in run have caused this now?
Or why aren't my adult babies able to handle this? They are on 20% protein feed, most snacks consist of veges and fruits.

Last edited:
Sorry I've been away for so long yall...between these grandbabies and my Bearded Babies I'm exhausted and limiting my time on the phone so I go to God more for strength and guidance as opposed to social media which has whole set of issues for me!
Anyways wanted to let yall know I took in fecal samples to the vet yesterday that bought our house and has helped us with so many of our pets through the years!
I was thinking some kinda worm was what I was dealing with...nope they said coccidia positive.
So from what I'm reading and researching there is a "normal" amount of coccidia in the flora of their gut...but it's when there's too much that there is a problem?
Am I understanding this right?
I've got the Corid and going to begin treating them today.
I'm wondering about the ground if there is anything I need to do pertaining to it.
The run was completely cleaned out after Lizzie having to be put down from auto immune reproductive issues which made her succumb to several other things.
I'm guessing she probably had this on top of all of that too.
So DE and fresh pine shavings are in the run and I'm raking through it all every day or so.
Anything I'm missing?
Last year when the Buff Silkies were born they got coccidia cuz I had a hatch 5 days apart with cochins and I thought I was being wise in placing the cochins 5 days older down in run brooder...but when I brought them back it must have introduced coccidia to the silkies.
Could the damp area I am dealing with in run have caused this now?
Or why aren't my adult babies able to handle this? They are on 20% protein feed, most snacks consist of veges and fruits.
It's so good to hear from you ❤️ Sorry to hear you lost Lizzy and wish I knew more about coccidia. I hear about it all the time but haven't had to deal with it. It's probably been here but too mild to need extra attention. Glad you know what your dealing with now and hope they all recover well and quickly 🤞

Back
Top Bottom