What did you do with your flock today?

Yall ever seen any feather issues like this with your babies?!
I'm so frustrated that I thought they were molting and have not asked before now...but after the vet said Lizzie's was NOT a molt I'm so concerned as to what others might have.
My black Silkie has NO tail...my d'uccles all look like this around their neck and I can tell today it is even worse.
I did post in the emergency thread section but someone just said I have feather picking going on...I'm down there a lot and know it isn't that. I'm about to believe I have a massive problem on my hands and Lizzie was only the beginning of a worse nightmare!
Any help yall can give is so very much appreciated!
Thread 'Feathers NOT right' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feathers-not-right.1585097/
You are going to be so smart after surviving all this stuff. Hang in there Gamma B ♡

In treating each BANTAM with ivermectin 1% injection medication...another user posted on BYC to do no more than 2 DROPS on each chickens neck at skin.
Are you saying 10ml per chicken?
No, definitely not! The 10mg/ml is the strength of the ivermectin printed on the side of the bottle. I only give my birds 1-2 drops for bantams and 2-3 drops for the standard size chickens. Here's what I use in the attached photos. The brown bottle is the one I use for chicks over 6 weeks and over 400g in weight. It's a much less concentrated version.
20230615_070904.jpg
20230615_070931.jpg
20230615_071020.jpg

Last edited:
Gave mom vita water and food in reachable saki glasses. She is still sitting tight. Cleaned the attached pen and added vita water and food in chick friendly containers. Added step for the small ones to get back into nest box. View attachment 3541666When mom takes them out, I will clean her box and replace her bedding.
Feed store opens at 12. 🤞🤞🤞🤞chick starter.
Checked on mom and she plowed through her food and water.View attachment 3541671 When I gave her replacements I got to meet 2 babieeees.View attachment 3541657
♡♡♡♡♡
Junglefowl almost all grown up. This is one of the six that mom dropped as 1-2 month olds. Only 2 have moved on from my backyard. Have not had the heart to trap and relocate them yet. They mostly stay out of the way though cockerels have caused some humbug.
View attachment 3541635
So gorgeous! All of them! 😍 Way to go, Hope!

Last edited:
No, definitely not! The 10mg/ml is the strength of the ivermectin printed on the side of the bottle. I only give my birds 1-2 drops for bantams and 2-3 drops for the standard size chickens. Here's what I use in the attached photos. The brown bottle is the one I use for chicks over 6 weeks and over 400g in weight. It's a much less concentrated version. View attachment 3542319View attachment 3542320View attachment 3542321
Lord God is definitely helping through this that's for sure!
This is the bottle I got based on another post here on BYC...but no idea how to tell a drop...so in despair and prayer I gave em all .5ml on backs of their neck on skin.
They are still alive thank GOD!
After a few hours they were finally back to dust bathing and acting more normal than they have been in a while!
Crowing this morning!
God please help em to survive this and be rid of these things so they'll be healthy and beautiful again!

Attachments

• 16868255777603989954989471482734.jpg
    16868255777603989954989471482734.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 2
Hope has 4 now, 2 buff B's and 2 light B's, one is a little mix. I see nice fuzzy legs. She is still working hard at trying to hatch the last 2. I hope she knows things I dont. Hard not to love these littles instantly.

Hows it going with your baby pea?
Your Goose and other zoo creatures?
I've got 6 hens all gone broody while I was caring for Goose. I have such a hard time breaking an egg once they're growing ☹️. But today I'm going to take all the eggs away, candle them and put a few in the incubator. The rest will be fed to the peas. No fun.

Baby peas are doing great! Two more of a friends eggs hatched yesterday and one more Java. So I've got three adorable little babies ❤️. They're in with some chicks to teach them how to eat and they already chase my fingers hoping I'll scoop some food up for them. Seriously cute birds! The one standing tall is my favorite already ands been named Pinon. Keeping that one when we split up the babies!
Resized_20230614_204151.jpg
Resized_20230614_204209.jpg

Goose is back to playful and properly colored and shaped 💩❤️❤️❤️❤️. He's still trying to regain weight...you can still feel his ribs and backbone, but you can't see them anymore. And he's eating like a horse ❤️. Everyone's just so relieved and giving him tons of cuddles and scritches. I've got the first round of cleaning done and feeling like everything is under control and safe again here. ❤️
20230615_072343.jpg

Our little goat Mina figured out how to get into the neighbors yard from the horse area. Such a little stinker! It looks like she's climbing the fence...which I've never ever encountered before. But if I let her loose in the main yard...she books it over to the dogs to play chase and head butt them. And most important...she doesn't climb the fence looking for fun. Instead she hangs out by the side door with the dogs...and Jazzy follows and hangs out there too. So now if you walk out that door you get greeted by three dogs, a goat and a horse 😂. O...and one of our old dogs, Fox, has started headbutting Mina back 😂. She doesn't do the rear and head slam...instead she uses her nose to punch the goat. Mina just loves it. She wags her tail, spins, and does the silliest little dance at Foxy. ❤️ When I have some free time I'll try to get pictures. 😃

I've got 6 hens all gone broody while I was caring for Goose. I have such a hard time breaking an egg once they're growing ☹️. But today I'm going to take all the eggs away, candle them and put a few in the incubator. The rest will be fed to the peas. No fun.

Baby peas are doing great! Two more of a friends eggs hatched yesterday and one more Java. So I've got three adorable little babies ❤️. They're in with some chicks to teach them how to eat and they already chase my fingers hoping I'll scoop some food up for them. Seriously cute birds! The one standing tall is my favorite already ands been named Pinon. Keeping that one when we split up the babies!View attachment 3542544View attachment 3542546

Goose is back to playful and properly colored and shaped 💩❤️❤️❤️❤️. He's still trying to regain weight...you can still feel his ribs and backbone, but you can't see them anymore. And he's eating like a horse ❤️. Everyone's just so relieved and giving him tons of cuddles and scritches. I've got the first round of cleaning done and feeling like everything is under control and safe again here. ❤️
View attachment 3542565

Our little goat Mina figured out how to get into the neighbors yard from the horse area. Such a little stinker! It looks like she's climbing the fence...which I've never ever encountered before. But if I let her loose in the main yard...she books it over to the dogs to play chase and head butt them. And most important...she doesn't climb the fence looking for fun. Instead she hangs out by the side door with the dogs...and Jazzy follows and hangs out there too. So now if you walk out that door you get greeted by three dogs, a goat and a horse 😂. O...and one of our old dogs, Fox, has started headbutting Mina back 😂. She doesn't do the rear and head slam...instead she uses her nose to punch the goat. Mina just loves it. She wags her tail, spins, and does the silliest little dance at Foxy. ❤️ When I have some free time I'll try to get pictures. 😃
Yay for healthy baby peas and Goose!! :love It appears Goose has definitely adopted you and is living his best life! And your goat sounds hilarious, I want to be greeted by a horse and goat and doggies when I leave my house! Sounds lovely!

After it was light enough to see, I checked on Hope and her brood. 5 out of 6. I pulled the last egg and candled, tapped... nothing. Broke open to find it was a fairly early quitter. Surprised me as the air sac was nicely developed and contents pretty dark. But veiny yolk was what it was.
20230615_062549.jpg

Good. Now they are free to wander the pen. I NEED to clean the nest. Despite my spraying, Hope has mites, so now babies do. I did a light spray of mom and 2 hatched babies yesterday but this is going to require a deeper dive.
Hope, though she handled herself well with the flock pre broody, really got bullied when she went to stretch, eat and dust bathe, the last 3 weeks, so I only let her out supervised and well... not enough to fend off mites. Deep sigh. She is a lovely momma so no regrets. Just gotta deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom