What did you do with your flock today?

The little suckers do have some strength in their beaks. They pretty much know not to bite my hand by now, and if they nip it it's a gentle nip. But sometimes I'll hold a dandelion plant above their heads so they have to jump to get it and they can almost pull it out of my hand when their beak gets a good grip. I'm glad they know my hand isn't food. LOL

Took the baby pheasants and my week old chicks (Legbar, Ancona and Cemani) outside in their brooder for some fresh air and sunshine and they seemed to enjoy it. The cemanis are unusually quiet and reserved, but are definitely the bigger chicks right out of the shell . The are a new line for my flock, and they are just big gray fluff balls with the dark black coming through . This bunch is going to be trouble.

Let everyone free grange together, except for Cyclone(my Cemani roo) and Lloyd (leghorn cockerel).

My broodys eggs are disappearing quickly. Lots of quitters - one hen only has two, the other three are setting on four each.

Never a dull moment🥴

Planted some hanging baskets this afternoon with the help of Mr. Vanilla Bean.
View attachment 3499542
Such a good name for that baby. What a pretty creamy color!
I had enough energy to move two loads of semi-composted wood chips into the new chicken run. After 2 or 3 more loads tomorrow there should be a good, solid 12 inches of bedding in the run. Chicks will love picking through that mess!

After all the bedding is in place I can start putting up the third and final wall, and mount the door. Hope I have enough hardware cloth.

When it's all finished, cleaning the coop will be easy. I'll just remove the two sections of plywood wall on the run side of the coop and rake all the crappy litter into the run.

View attachment 3499752View attachment 3499753View attachment 3499755
Looking good!
Oh, it's going to be ripped down soon. It's just wood paneling that's peeled apart is all.
Looks like a fun coop...love that it's moveable. If we move I'll have a crazy hard time dismantling all my coops and runs. Maybe I need to build a coop a year so hubby will decide moving isn't worth the work 🤣😁🤣

Took the baby pheasants and my week old chicks (Legbar, Ancona and Cemani) outside in their brooder for some fresh air and sunshine and they seemed to enjoy it. The cemanis are unusually quiet and reserved, but are definitely the bigger chicks right out of the shell . The are a new line for my flock, and they are just big gray fluff balls with the dark black coming through . This bunch is going to be trouble.

Let everyone free grange together, except for Cyclone(my Cemani roo) and Lloyd (leghorn cockerel).

My broodys eggs are disappearing quickly. Lots of quitters - one hen only has two, the other three are setting on four each.

Never a dull moment🥴
Have you had pheasants before or are these your first? Curious how you house them. I looked at getting pheasants before and was pre-reading about them. Sounds like they need a lot of space and those little blinders to keep them from hurting each other. So I decided maybe not. Would love to hear about what they're like for you ❤️

Workin' in the garden and enjoying a beautiful day in CT.
IMG_5217.jpeg

IMG_5186.jpeg

IMG_5160.jpeg

70515743593__E3E33897-1AC7-45A0-BF8F-B38293D9A480.jpeg

Have you had pheasants before or are these your first? Curious how you house them. I looked at getting pheasants before and was pre-reading about them. Sounds like they need a lot of space and those little blinders to keep them from hurting each other. So I decided maybe not. Would love to hear about what they're like for you ❤️
The pheasants were an experiment, really. My husband has raised them before, and they do require special housing. I’m brooding them together at the moment, and will continue outside in another brooder, but will most likely rehome them.

I entertained raising them for a second, but we already have built three runs/coops over the last year for my chickens, and that is where I will focus my passion. There is really no market for pheasants here, they are very fragile, and ultimately, it just seems cruel to keep them caged up, to me. And I like chicken eggs, better ❤️ They are hilarious to watch, though 🤣

Have you ever had a rooster who was making a nesting hole? Houdini has been making a depression in the dirt next to the outside of the coop, which is slightly protected from rain and sun He also seems like he was inspecting the tarp/cover above it. His call noise sounds different from food calls.
My rooster does that. He will also go and lay inside a laying box. They are funny 😂

Back
Top Bottom