What did you do with your flock today?

Gorgeous fluffy butts! I especially love that splash hen with the cocky comb ❤️
That's Penelope, Ferdy's little sister. She is very sassy and full of attitude. I have no idea where she got that comb from! I sometimes wonder if she has more testosterone than she should? She can crow exactly like a roo, disciplines the other girls in the same way a roo does and she's very, very vocal. On the other hand, she goes broody at the drop of a hat!
NERF bullets! That's a fantastic idea. I'd never have thought of that! Next time I need a splint, I'm gonna try it.
I think I read that most crested birds can have a vaulted skull. I know some breeds you have to breed a vaulted skull bird to a normal skulled bird, otherwise there's all kinds of skull deformities, not least the top of the skull completely missing, leaving the brain exposed.

Well, my yokos are definitely sick. It's just their coop with illness but it's several birds showing swelling around one eye. Very worried it's going to spread to my other flocks. The only good thing I can think of is that their coop and run is away from the rest...not far enough to really be happy though. I had already integrated my young ones with the adults...so all my yokos are in that one coop. Hoping it's not mycoplasma as the recommendation is to cull every bird in the flock, healthy or sick. All these years with chickens and never seen this before... feeling down just thinking about if it is.

Going to move them all out to my oldest coop that the adults had been in. It's a half acre from the house and might protect my other birds. My youngest is staying away from the yokos and caring for the other birds while I doctor the yokos and shower after. Flushed all the swollen eyes, dosed them with terramycin and tetracycline. No one's showing any respiratory signs still.

Read about something called swollen head syndrome and rather hoping it's that. Lots of things it could be but those are the only two I've found so far that sound more likely to me.

I can't stand the thought of maybe having to cull them all. All my neighbors have birds too though so it's not just mine I'm risking if it is mycoplasma. I haven't called for the test yet...I'll have to do that tomorrow. If the test comes back positive, maybe they'll have advice too.
Remember to keep the coop you're moving them from empty for the recommended 2 weeks before re-introducing any birds. Mycoplasma can only survive a short time in the environment without a host so a really good disinfect and expose to the sun as much as possible. Hopefully it's not Mycoplasma. 🤞 :hugs

Well, my yokos are definitely sick. It's just their coop with illness but it's several birds showing swelling around one eye. Very worried it's going to spread to my other flocks. The only good thing I can think of is that their coop and run is away from the rest...not far enough to really be happy though. I had already integrated my young ones with the adults...so all my yokos are in that one coop. Hoping it's not mycoplasma as the recommendation is to cull every bird in the flock, healthy or sick. All these years with chickens and never seen this before... feeling down just thinking about if it is.

Going to move them all out to my oldest coop that the adults had been in. It's a half acre from the house and might protect my other birds. My youngest is staying away from the yokos and caring for the other birds while I doctor the yokos and shower after. Flushed all the swollen eyes, dosed them with terramycin and tetracycline. No one's showing any respiratory signs still.

Read about something called swollen head syndrome and rather hoping it's that. Lots of things it could be but those are the only two I've found so far that sound more likely to me.

I can't stand the thought of maybe having to cull them all. All my neighbors have birds too though so it's not just mine I'm risking if it is mycoplasma. I haven't called for the test yet...I'll have to do that tomorrow. If the test comes back positive, maybe they'll have advice too.
I’m so sorry your yokos are sick. Hopefully the test comes back negative. :fl

Hoping it's not mycoplasma
Surely not! I'm praying for ya as you deal with this and for all your babies!!!

@kurby22 I'm so glad Bruno is doing lil better! How are all the others that were I'll?
Oh and I'm bout to get on power point and see bout drawing a layout of the honeymoon coop...so glad you posted that as I am very visual too!

Surely not! I'm praying for ya as you deal with this and for all your babies!!!

@kurby22 I'm so glad Bruno is doing lil better! How are all the others that were I'll?
Oh and I'm bout to get on power point and see bout drawing a layout of the honeymoon coop...so glad you posted that as I am very visual too!
@kurby22 I'm also glad you posted that! I've helped my kids use power point so many times over the years and it never occurred to me it could be used in that way. Loved your coop plans❤️.

@kurby22 I'm also glad you posted that! I've helped my kids use power point so many times over the years and it never occurred to me it could be used in that way. Loved your coop plans❤️.
Well @kurby22 my brain just does not work that way anymore.. I messed with it and messed with it til I'm hurting all over and my brain is mush!
But atleast I got an idea ...I think... if what I need to do?!
Oh me!!!

I've got all my birds on lockdown. The yokos get most of the free range time and I'm wondering if that's how they got it. So no play time for any of my birds until the yokos problems are resolved.

Checked them this morning and all but one of the sick birds is showing improvement. One now has both eyes swollen shut, crop empty and breathing sounds. No nasel discharge. Re-treated her eyes and some cheesy lumps came out. One chunk as big as my pinky nail. Mixed her some chick starter, mixed grain instant baby food, soy based infant formula and tetracycline into a watery mix and she gladly gulped some up. Hopefully it'll help. Moved her into a small cage with a heat lamp. It's been a couple hours since her treatment and she can open one eye a crack now.
20230119_081305.jpg
20230119_081245.jpg

Moved my Buff Orpington (3 Hens), Rhode Island Reds (2 Roosters and 1 Hen) into the coop from their brooding pen in the basement bathroom a couple of days ago. I think they would rather be in the basement. We had snow and blizzard conditions yesterday and they did not want to go into run for food and water, so I moved their food and water in the coop. Don't worry there is heat in the coop and they are 12 weeks old and feathered out. I have an InkBird temperature/humidity monitor in the coop and the coop is well insulated. The recorded temps never dropped below 40* last night while the outside temps were down to 9*. Going to check on them now. Have a good day!

I've got all my birds on lockdown. The yokos get most of the free range time and I'm wondering if that's how they got it. So no play time for any of my birds until the yokos problems are resolved.

Checked them this morning and all but one of the sick birds is showing improvement. One now has both eyes swollen shut, crop empty and breathing sounds. No nasel discharge. Re-treated her eyes and some cheesy lumps came out. One chunk as big as my pinky nail. Mixed her some chick starter, mixed grain instant baby food, soy based infant formula and tetracycline into a watery mix and she gladly gulped some up. Hopefully it'll help. Moved her into a small cage with a heat lamp. It's been a couple hours since her treatment and she can open one eye a crack now.View attachment 3379626View attachment 3379627
Prayers for your birds, hope they recover quickly!!!

Back
Top Bottom