What did you do with your flock today?

We have a nice spell of dry weather, not that the ground will dry out before the next precipitation event. Went and let the chooks out, and white pullet Pikake has blood around her vent. I need to catch her tonight off the roost (takes some gymnastic abilities to do so) and investigate. Kind of shocking. No blood under the roosting bars or nesting boxes. Any ideas what is happening? She is acting normal. Could her vent have torn from a large egg? I didn't see anyone trying to peck her there. Blood seems fresh and still bright. Not profuse.

Yes!!!!! Beautiful specimen. Did you eat it?
We ate some fresh and made porcini powder out of the bulk of it ❤️
Fellow fungophile? We have had tons of LBM's in the past. So I've been a little frustrated with how some of the classifications keep changing. The books I have are outdated.😢 Gladly, the mushrooms appear the same. Do you have much in AZ? These matsutaki and chanterelles are from the 2018 fall season, the last time I found any.View attachment 3364903
That's a beautiful basket!

We have pretty good mushroom hunting on Mt Lemon close to us. Along with a lot of people wanting to hunt them...so good finds take some time. But we have found wood ears, lions mane, oyster mushrooms, cauliflower, and bolete. Think Kimi found chanterelle once but she was on a trip with friends that time so not sure.
Thanks everyone! Last night I found them snuggled up together when I put them to bed. I'm so glad they're getting along. <3
I'm so glad too ❤️

We have a nice spell of dry weather, not that the ground will dry out before the next precipitation event. Went and let the chooks out, and white pullet Pikake has blood around her vent. I need to catch her tonight off the roost (takes some gymnastic abilities to do so) and investigate. Kind of shocking. No blood under the roosting bars or nesting boxes. Any ideas what is happening? She is acting normal. Could her vent have torn from a large egg? I didn't see anyone trying to peck her there. Blood seems fresh and still bright. Not profuse.
Oh no, poor girl. : (
Did you see if there were any extra large eggs in the nests? There’s a possibility she laid a big one, like you said. I might also check the nests and coop/any of her favorite places to be for blood.
I hope it’s nothing serious!
Great visual ♡
We ate some fresh and made porcini powder out of the bulk of it ❤️

That's a beautiful basket!

We have pretty good mushroom hunting on Mt Lemon close to us. Along with a lot of people wanting to hunt them...so good finds take some time. But we have found wood ears, lions mane, oyster mushrooms, cauliflower, and bolete. Think Kimi found chanterelle once but she was on a trip with friends that time so not sure.

I'm so glad too ❤️
I got a picture of them snuggling again. <33 King Louis looks so big next to Duchess. He always looked pretty small next to everyone else lol.
14D55A96-8070-4541-BAB6-7436DF6377FE.jpeg

Did you see if there were any extra large eggs in the nests? There’s a possibility she laid a big one, like you said. I might also check the nests and coop/any of her favorite places to be for blood.

I got a picture of them snuggling again. <33 King Louis looks so big next to Duchess. He always looked pretty small next to everyone else lol.
View attachment 3365575
So beautiful. Just amazing 💜🤍

@FrankieDoodle Didn't find blood anywhere else. There was one extra large egg, but my other girls lay them also. No blood on any eggs.
I locked her out of the coop and caught her after everyone else went to roost. Bathed her bottom in Epsom salt bath. Took off a quarter sized blood clot, and washed her vent and bum of blood thoroughly. She does not seem to be bleeding otherwise. Her vent looks normal. Is their skin supposed to look reddish? It's the first time I've ever handled this pullet. Palpated her abdomen and it was soft. Crop is full. She was acting normally all day, not lethargic or puffed up, tail up. She's in a pet carrier inside while she dries overnight. Any ideas?

View attachment 3365575
I love how Duchesses tail fits just under King Louis. Looks like they were made to cuddle 🤗
@FrankieDoodle Didn't find blood anywhere else. There was one extra large egg, but my other girls lay them also. No blood on any eggs.
I locked her out of the coop and caught her after everyone else went to roost. Bathed her bottom in Epsom salt bath. Took off a quarter sized blood clot, and washed her vent and bum of blood thoroughly. She does not seem to be bleeding otherwise. Her vent looks normal. Is their skin supposed to look reddish? It's the first time I've ever handled this pullet. Palpated her abdomen and it was soft. Crop is full. She was acting normally all day, not lethargic or puffed up, tail up. She's in a pet carrier inside while she dries overnight. Any ideas?
I've never seen something like that...an occasional blood smear from laying in all. Is she still bleeding or was the clot all the blood? Glad to hear she's behaving normal.

I love how Duchesses tail fits just under King Louis. Looks like they were made to cuddle 🤗

I've never seen something like that...an occasional blood smear from laying in all. Is she still bleeding or was the clot all the blood? Glad to hear she's behaving normal.
Seems all the blood was from the one large clot. There was some smaller blood clot in her feathers. No more blood yet 4 hours have passed. I'll check her in the morning to see if there is any more.

Back
Top Bottom