What did you do with your flock today?

Checked my found mealies for pupas again, refreshed their food and potatoes. Still no pupas and they're huge. Don't think this is the same variety as the store bought kind, though definitely in the same bug family. Curious to see what the beetles look like when I finally get some, and curious if they'll be a good variety to raise.
20221228_141517.jpg

I found this fun article on different types of mealworm (darkling) beetles found in AZ. I've seen a few different types of these around our house, but mostly a big black type that does head stands when scared. Would be really cool if it's the one of the colorful beetles though 😃. I especially like the blue one! My chickens would probably prefer the head stand guys just because they're big beetles that they love to eat. 😂

http://arizonabeetlesbugsbirdsandmo...kling-beetles-tenebrionidae-in-dunes.html?m=1

I really dislike plastic but all my waterer are plastic too. They are much easier to defrost, clean and sterilize. Only thing is, i use a product called Lifeguard 2-3 times a week and the turmeric in it stains the plastic an unsightly diarrhoea/mustard colour. Ugh!
I just used water and nothing else, I only got the plastic ones to use while it is freezing. easier to bring in and defrost, fill up, and take back outside than the 3 and 5 gallon metal ones.

Checked my found mealies for pupas again, refreshed their food and potatoes. Still no pupas and they're huge. Don't think this is the same variety as the store bought kind, though definitely in the same bug family. Curious to see what the beetles look like when I finally get some, and curious if they'll be a good variety to raise.View attachment 3360674
I found this fun article on different types of mealworm (darkling) beetles found in AZ. I've seen a few different types of these around our house, but mostly a big black type that does head stands when scared. Would be really cool if it's the one of the colorful beetles though 😃. I especially like the blue one! My chickens would probably prefer the head stand guys just because they're big beetles that they love to eat. 😂

http://arizonabeetlesbugsbirdsandmo...kling-beetles-tenebrionidae-in-dunes.html?m=1
Wow! That's a fascinating article. I love the bluish white waxy coated one. We only have a couple of native ones locally and they're basically black or brown. I do see a lot of interesting beetles on our allotment though, including the very pretty but damaging rosemary beetles. Fortunately, they're a big favourite of the chickens 🤣

I just used water and nothing else, I only got the plastic ones to use while it is freezing. easier to bring in and defrost, fill up, and take back outside than the 3 and 5 gallon metal ones.
Fortunately with only 6 chickens I don't need 3 or 5 gallon waterers. Wish I did as I'd love more chickens! 🤣

Back
Top Bottom