What did you do with your flock today?

Secured a portion of the Koke'e chicken run a little better. Clipped some snaggle toes, put a saddle on ol Eva, tossed the gang some blueberries and then headed down the mountain to pick up some veggies and fire up the incubator. 12 LB's and 8 BB's plus the BB and BB ' RSL's under Pi'ilani. 30 total. The incubator was reading 50% humidity that I did not like but more than likely it is because I fired it up with eggs and it is raining hard today. Absolutely lovely but no time to fuss over it. Going to trust my settings and the incubator.
After filling feeders and packing the remainder of feed for the flock up Koke'e I sat and listen to my hubby and visited with the kitties. Boy, DH has lots to say, I'm so used to the quiet already. He had the TV on and I kind of had to get out of there 😬 so when the rain let up it was time to head up. The hardest rain seems to be at the lower elevations, absolutely fabulous in Kekaha when it rains. I'm glad I got to be there. Wet and cold up here but nice. Just me, 2 kitties, the chooks, a pot of tea, Mazzy Star and the pitter patter of rain on a tin roof. ♡ Pretty sure that is it for today.

Hey yall...I'm trying to figure out what is best - could yall give me your thoughts?
Joey my oldest roo is in bachelor pad behind the main run.
Inside the main run are three 4 month old Satins...1 of which is a boy, 3 d'uccles about 3 months old and 3 one month old Silkie babies.
They have all been doing pretty well except for when the 1 boy gets wild hair up his butt but that's usually with his hatchmates not the younger ones.
I also have 2 three week old lil cochins. I've been takin them on field trips during the day to be with the rest of the flock and things go pretty well. I think they are timid bout getting near food bowls so have to watch that. But then I bring them back in to brooder in garage each evening. 1 of them is not feathering out very much at all! Pic below.
We go on vacation in a week for a week and my neighbor will look after all my babies each morning and night.
I really hate to leave the cochins in garage because she will not be able to monitor them and check in on them like I do each day through out the day.
But I worry bout the little one not feathering and struggling from that standpoint too.
Any suggestions? The cochins will be 4 weeks old this weekend...yet she looks just like a newly hatched chick practically. She's normal in every other aspect

Attachments

• oCGjzRk9-320588231 (1).jpeg
    oCGjzRk9-320588231 (1).jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 1
Hey yall...I'm trying to figure out what is best - could yall give me your thoughts?
Inside the main run are three 4 month old Satins...1 of which is a boy, 3 d'uccles about 3 months old and 3 one month old Silkie babies.
They have all been doing pretty well except for when the 1 boy gets wild hair up his butt but that's usually with his hatchmates not the younger ones.
I also have 2 three week old lil cochins. I've been takin them on field trips during the day to be with the rest of the flock and things go pretty well. I think they are timid bout getting near food bowls so have to watch that. But then I bring them back in to brooder in garage each evening. 1 of them is not feathering out very much at all! Pic below.
We go on vacation in a week for a week and my neighbor will look after all my babies each morning and night.
I really hate to leave the cochins in garage because she will not be able to monitor them and check in on them like I do each day through out the day.
But I worry bout the little one not feathering and struggling from that standpoint too.
Any suggestions? The cochins will be 4 weeks old this weekend...yet she looks just like a newly hatched chick practically. She's normal in every other aspect

Aw...she's a cutie 🥰 I'm not familiar enough with the weather where you are to know if temps get too cold...but I do know that two babies can't pile together to stay warm enough if it is too cold. I can see why your concerned. Is there any safe place you could keep them that the neighbor can get to for checking on them that has electricity for a heat source?

Secured a portion of the Koke'e chicken run a little better. Clipped some snaggle toes, put a saddle on ol Eva, tossed the gang some blueberries and then headed down the mountain to pick up some veggies and fire up the incubator. 12 LB's and 8 BB's plus the BB and BB ' RSL's under Pi'ilani. 30 total. The incubator was reading 50% humidity that I did not like but more than likely it is because I fired it up with eggs and it is raining hard today. Absolutely lovely but no time to fuss over it. Going to trust my settings and the incubator.
After filling feeders and packing the remainder of feed for the flock up Koke'e I sat and listen to my hubby and visited with the kitties. Boy, DH has lots to say, I'm so used to the quiet already. He had the TV on and I kind of had to get out of there 😬 so when the rain let up it was time to head up. The hardest rain seems to be at the lower elevations, absolutely fabulous in Kekaha when it rains. I'm glad I got to be there. Wet and cold up here but nice. Just me, 2 kitties, the chooks, a pot of tea, Mazzy Star and the pitter patter of rain on a tin roof. ♡ Pretty sure that is it for today.
I like my quiet time too...that sounds just devine.

The neighbors gave me a cat tower the other day and I started pulling all the carpet on it the other night. Dust was filling the air and I didn't even think twice about it. But today I felt sick all day. My sinuses are burning and I just feel blah. I should have known better and put a mask on while I worked. I'm pretty sure it must have been that dust at any rate.

So not much done today. I re-painted my can flowers as that was something I could do that didn't take much moving around.

Went to give the dwarfs their first free time while I worked but decided I wasn't feeling sharp enough to paint and keep an eye on them. So I brought my big dogs into that area so they could babysit the chickens for me...then somehow forgot to let the chickens out! 😖 Probably best since I really should keep an eye on them myself first time out but my brain just wasn't functioning tonight.

Well, it was just one of those days. So it's bedtime for me tonight already!

Sweet dreams everyone!

Esh, that is a tuff one. Do you have a warming plate? And safe spaces? So younger ages can get away incase young lad decides to be a jerk? If not I would be afraid to risk it. Be great if she could take them home safely or not mind the extra work. As long as the little have each other for company they should be fine for the week. I don't know if my thoughts help. I don't have much luck with chicken care (or animal care) myself. Though, DH is doing a bang up job now I am really glad I don't have babies. 3 weeks is still young ♡

Rain stopped enough for me to let the gang out with me being their shepherd.Spider spotted the hunting dog first. Glad I was there.
20220804_171932.jpg

The neighbors gave me a cat tower the other day and I started pulling all the carpet on it the other night. Dust was filling the air and I didn't even think twice about it. But today I felt sick all day. My sinuses are burning and I just feel blah. I should have known better and put a mask on while I worked. I'm pretty sure it must have been that dust at any rate.
We gave one to my best bud but did it for her, recovered the darn thing and yes always dust. I did two of them.

Beigie is fully recovered, and I moved her out with everyone else a few days ago. There’s been no issues (yet) on her end, but now Nugget is sick.
Everytime. Literally everytime, for 4 years, Beigie gets sick someone else does too. Without fail. Never the other way around, oddly enough. It’s an ongoing joke in my family that she drains the life out of the other birds to fuel herself.

Nugget has been inside for a day or two now. She hasn’t gotten worse, but she’s not better yet, either. She’s barely been eating, but today I made her some wet food with oats, and she ate a decent amount of that. If I can get her to keep eating, hopefully she’ll be okay.

I also have another bird with issues. I have no idea what’s wrong with her, but her face looks swollen? She’s my 4yo Brahma, Molly.
I’ve checked her all over, no bugs of any sort, no stings, nothing in her mouth. She’s still eating, drinking, acting completely normal.
She hasn’t shown any signs of respiratory problems, no sneezing or coughing, but recently one of her eyes has been getting bubbly. None of the other birds have shown any symptoms.

I don’t think it’s new, either. Looking at pictures of her from the last few months, her face slowly gets more swollen.
March 10:
1159D89A-B18B-4C1B-9A26-08588DA4065B.jpeg

May 13:
AA8615F5-FBCD-4359-8297-601BD160AB40.jpeg

And then this Monday:
49E0F5F0-EF63-4EEE-9FFD-D3A0AC87233F.jpeg
728F6066-B309-4A41-A1FF-CA8C18359536.jpeg
864280F7-7238-4720-8A06-B3A7D0823FAD.jpeg

I’m wondering if maybe it’s allergies? Although that’s not very common, from what I’ve seen. I’ve been researching if benadryl is something I could give her, but so far there’s been some very mixed results. I don’t know what else to try. :/

Back
Top Bottom