What did you do with your flock today?

I stopped getting alerts for this thread. :he

I got my chickens moved out of the house and into their new coops. It’s been 8 months since my house was last bird-free. :th I’m hoping tomorrow I can get updated pictures of them.

We collected 7 eggs from our 7 chookies this morning, they had a great day today as they spread a bale of straw around the pen floor looking for those little ‘treats’ I’d scattered earlier, it’s 5 o’clock now and getting dark so they are locked back in their pen after a busy day !

I was not getting notices for this thread either.
20201030_162932~2.jpg
20201030_162919~2.jpg

Last I left this post on my end I was trying to figure out an overhang for my brooder as the direction of our setting sun had moved to the North and was heating up the chicks too much. I played with how I wanted it a few times trying to use a harvested material- but as I wrote b4, the bamboo looked tacky and I could not figure out how to make it work for me. I settled on a 1x frame, old feed bags and a Loulou palm frawn. It is lightweight, mostly free, sun and water proof. Yippee! It works.
20201109_072738.jpg
20201109_072829.jpg

The chicks have been growing well, becoming friendly and more independant. They have access to the full garden area now.
20201109_072916.jpg
20201109_072934~2.jpg

I finally made myself some feeders that the doves can't feast on and I can not express enough, the joy I feel in NOT feeding the islands dove population. I am saving so much $$$ and time in that area. We have also had a lot of sudden tropical rains lately and I have had no losses or clean ups due to wet food!!!!
20201101_104954~2.jpg

Prototype seems to be good if a Silkie mix can figure it out. No offense to Silkies... :rolleyes:

And I screwed in some 1x's for some rainproofing but the mosquitos came out full force and are harboring in the coop now. So... I have a bug zapper due today and I will order and instal fans asap!!! Then i will finish once i get the swarms of Mosquitoes under wraps.
20201107_141903~2.jpg
20201107_142059~2.jpg

Got my floating roost up a while ago- I have thinned my flock some and am continuing to do so more as I have 6 more Brahma chicks to pick up on the 13th. It is all about the Brahma's baby!
I have 3 hens molting now... my hens and yard have the drunkin bar brawl look. I don't care cuz I am saving so much on feed :D:D:D.

AND I was very happy to see that 2yo w/ 2" spurs rooster Shredder stepped up to the plate and fought the intruder rooster off of our property this morning. I don't think my 2 young ones could have done that as big as they are they are only/almost 6 months old and a bit silly and clueless. My sweet little babies :love
20201016_095143.jpg
20201023_115233.jpg

and the rest is details... My DH's bday was the 3rd so we turned off the elections, walked out to the beach and had a wonderful time on a good day!!
20201103_113845~2.jpg

Stay well all!!! 😷🤙

Last edited:
We don't have a rooster. :) (also she keeps brooding on either nothing or the fake eggs we got in there... those will be in until the goldens get used to laying.)
If you take the fake eggs out and collect regularly it may help the broody break. All I had to do was take eggs and give mine chicks and she left in a huff :gig

I was not getting notices for this thread either.View attachment 2405282View attachment 2405281
Last I left this post on my end I was trying to figure out an overhang for my brooder as the direction of our setting sun had moved to the North and was heating up the chicks too much. I played with how I wanted it a few times trying to use a harvested material- but as I wrote b4, the bamboo looked tacky and I could not figure out how to make it work for me. I settled on a 1x frame, old feed bags and a Loulou palm frawn. It is lightweight, mostly free, sun and water proof. Yippee! It works.
View attachment 2405292View attachment 2405295
The chicks have been growing well, becoming friendly and more independant. They have access to the full garden area now.
View attachment 2405297View attachment 2405299
I finally made myself some feeders that the doves can't feast on and I can not express enough, the joy I feel in NOT feeding the islands dove population. I am saving so much $$$ and time in that area. We have also had a lot of sudden tropical rains lately and I have had no losses or clean ups due to wet food!!!! View attachment 2405284
Prototype seems to be good if a Silkie mix can figure it out. No offense to Silkies... :rolleyes:

And I screwed in some 1x's for some rainproofing but the mosquitos came out full force and are harboring in the coop now. So... I have a bug zapper due today and I will order and instal fans asap!!! Then i will finish once i get the swarms of Mosquitoes under wraps.View attachment 2405287View attachment 2405290
Got my floating roost up a while ago- I have thinned my flock some and am continuing to do so more as I have 6 more Brahma chicks to pick up on the 13th. It is all about the Brahma's baby!
I have 3 hens molting now... my hens and yard have the drunkin bar brawl look. I don't care cuz I am saving so much on feed :D:D:D.

AND I was very happy to see that 2yo w/ 2" spike rooster Shredder stepped up to the plate and fight the intruder rooster off of our property this morning. I don't think my 2 young ones could have done that as big as they are they are only/almost 6 months old and a bit clueless. My sweet little babies :loveView attachment 2405314View attachment 2405318

and the rest is details... My DH's bday was the 3rd so we turned off the elections and walked out front to the beach, then had a great dinner!!View attachment 2405286
Good to see you!

I was not getting notices for this thread either.View attachment 2405282View attachment 2405281
View attachment 2405292View attachment 2405295
View attachment 2405297View attachment 2405299
I finally made myself some feeders that the doves can't feast on and I can not express enough, the joy I feel in NOT feeding the islands dove population. I am saving so much $$$ and time in that area. We have also had a lot of sudden tropical rains lately and I have had no losses or clean ups due to wet food!!!! View attachment 2405284

And I screwed in some 1x's for some rainproofing but the mosquitos came out full force and are harboring in the coop now. So... I have a bug zapper due today and I will order and instal fans asap!!! Then i will finish once i get the swarms of Mosquitoes under wraps.View attachment 2405287View attachment 2405290

AND I was very happy to see that 2yo w/ 2" spike rooster Shredder stepped up to the plate and fight the intruder rooster off of our property this morning. I don't think my 2 young ones could have done that as big as they are they are only/almost 6 months old and a bit clueless. My sweet little babies :loveView attachment 2405314View attachment 2405318

and the rest is details... My DH's bday was the 3rd so we turned off the elections and walked out front to the beach, then had a great dinner!!View attachment 2405286

Your birds are adorable! 😍

Your birds are adorable! 😍
Thank you! I agree :love cept the bar brawling party girls right?! Poor things. tee hee! Wish you lived closer I'd give you a box full of these babies as I need to thin quickly!
Today I locked the old biddies out of the run and the littles and I lifted wood and found bugs, then I caught some lizards for them. One of the few silver linings to getting older, you can be a crazy chicken lady and neighbors think it is cute... I think... :hmm
The new Brahma chicks came from Texas so beat up from the travel. I worried... lost one... worried some more and now they are pulling out of it. Took three weeks :( Have you ever heard of such a thing?! I am nervous to meet the next six.
Looking forward to tomorrow's chicken chores... heigh-Ho, heigh-Ho!!

Good to see you!
Good to see your familiar name too!!! Needed to take a break from people... or I was taken hostage by chickens... or both!!! It has cooled off a bunch here but I only have arugula and a little lettuce in my garden. :idunnoThe young cockerels hopped my tomato cage and mowed my toms. I have back ups but need a better plan lol. Just enjoying chicken time and the long awaited and very lovely rain storms. Been pretty wet and super lovely here! :love :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom