What did you do with your flock today?

I got a silkie today!! I’m so excited. :D I’ve wanted silkies for years, but could never get any.
Meet Harriet. She’s old and blind, and is my new house silkie. :D View attachment 2187637

Precious! Is it ethical to get a Silkie to raise baby chicks in a breeding program? I've been reading about it...

I have 4 that is their main job .. Adore the little aliens but yes I have them to raise or brood for me

Great, thank you so much! My chicks are doing so well I just greatly dislike putting them back in the brooder at night. They'll be 8 weeks Monday.

it would be wonderful if my future chicks could grow up in a separate house with a broody Silkie and enjoy a more natural life on the pasture grass here in Florida (where it's far from cold--I supplement with an extra waterer filled with electrolytes).

Last edited:
Great, thank you so much! My chicks are doing so well I just greatly dislike putting them back in the brooder at night. They'll be 8 weeks Monday.

it would be wonderful if my future chicks could grow up in a separate house with a broody Silkie and enjoy a more nature life on the pasture grass here in Florida (where it's far from cold--I supplement with an extra waterer filled with electrolytes).
You should not need to put them into a brooder at night at 8 weeks old. They should be fully feathered and ready for not heat

You should not need to put them into a brooder at night at 8 weeks old. They should be fully feathered and ready for not heat

I'm glad to hear it! Sources I've read say 6-8 weeks, but I feel like every resource is calibrated to Canada or cold climates. My chicks are in an environment so warm I have to watch for heat, not cold.

I'm glad to hear it! Sources I've read say 6-8 weeks, but I feel like every resource is calibrated to Canada or cold climates. My chicks are in an environment so warm I have to watch for heat, not cold.
Mine here in Woodland CA are often off of the heat plate within three weeks!

Back
Top Bottom