What did you do with your flock today?

Which is why this new batch doesn't have names yet, except for Dora, the explorer. Always the first to come, and be in new places.
Same here....the named ones have personalities that make them stand out even if there's a ton of other birds that look the same. I give them bands anyway to be sure I never oops and sell my special ones...but mostly I don't need them to tell who's who

I wonder if chickens can get that tapeworm that raw pork can carry? No idea but I've always cooked any pork or chicken my birds get just in case.
I think you're talking about trichinosis, and I've read that for the most part it's not a threat any more in commercial pork. I think it was more prevalent in the old days when most hogs were raised outdoors.

So no, I wasn't really worried about giving them the raw pork bone to peck on.

Ouch.... good thing they're so cute???? I'll keep my fingers crossed for at least a couple girls in there!
Thanks, but I am fairly certain they're boys. And all of them have yellow shanks, a non-Standard trait for Speckled Sussex, so I don't want to keep any of them for future breeding. Bummer.

I have 12 more eggs incubating: 6 under broody Tamar and 6 in an incubator. I'm hoping some will turn out to be girls. And I will consider keeping any cockerel that has a good attitude. And white legs!
IMG_20240503_182716307.jpg

IMG_20240428_182045591.jpg

Kids coming home for the summer and my other kids trucks not available so I've been busy shopping for bike racks and cargo bins to get her home. Beloved DH says just rent a storage locker in Flagstaff... maybe? Anyway...not a lot of time for a bit.

But...my first peachick of the year has hatched. Adorable dark pied from my neighbor's eggs. The little Greenfire dwarfs are still wild but growing fast. There's only 2 so far looking roo but they're still very young so we'll see. My yokohama crosses are growing fast too and looking pretty. I'm still deciding if I want to keep at it. I do, but I'm still uncertain if I can find homes for the ones that don't fit with my ideas. So have to wait and see on them too. Incubators are down to just peafowl and geese eggs. The geese have a buyer already so I can enjoy the babies briefly but I won't have to worry about them for long. The fellow buying them is fun...he wants them as soon after hatch as he can and he arranges his pick ups for when he has time to spend with them. Really nice guy.
I let my crele oegb brood a nest for a couple gentlemen wanting crele. Got my fingers and toes crossed they follow through and purchase the babies.

That's about it for here! Hope everyone's having a great day! 😊

I wonder if chickens can get that tapeworm that raw pork can carry? No idea but I've always cooked any pork or chicken my birds get just in case.
I think you're thinking of trichinosis. Recently, pork has been much safer, and can be served at 145 degrees F. The only raw meats I give the chickens is any seafood scraps from our catch.

Grrrrr, the mite battle continues. Found another big batch had hatched and sucked on my girls in the last day or so. Got out my equivalent of Elector PSP, which is Dead Bug brew diluted 1:4. I hope it has residual killing power. Does this seem early in the year for this?

Kids coming home for the summer and my other kids trucks not available so I've been busy shopping for bike racks and cargo bins to get her home. Beloved DH says just rent a storage locker in Flagstaff... maybe? Anyway...not a lot of time for a bit.

But...my first peachick of the year has hatched. Adorable dark pied from my neighbor's eggs. The little Greenfire dwarfs are still wild but growing fast. There's only 2 so far looking roo but they're still very young so we'll see. My yokohama crosses are growing fast too and looking pretty. I'm still deciding if I want to keep at it. I do, but I'm still uncertain if I can find homes for the ones that don't fit with my ideas. So have to wait and see on them too. Incubators are down to just peafowl and geese eggs. The geese have a buyer already so I can enjoy the babies briefly but I won't have to worry about them for long. The fellow buying them is fun...he wants them as soon after hatch as he can and he arranges his pick ups for when he has time to spend with them. Really nice guy.
I let my crele oegb brood a nest for a couple gentlemen wanting crele. Got my fingers and toes crossed they follow through and purchase the babies.

That's about it for here! Hope everyone's having a great day! 😊
Seems you have a never ending parade of beebies. Keeping fingers crossed for your buyers.

Back
Top Bottom