What did you do in the garden today?

The upper garden is ready to plant the green beans. I took some time after lunch to mow the front yard. The trimming will have to wait until tomorrow. Getting ready to let the big chickens out while I set up the sprinkler for the green bean garden then plant the beans. The temperature right now is 78F. Dry and sunny. I did water everything that is already planted before breakfast this morning. I’m still waiting for the pinto and black beans to germinate. So much to do. The rain that is forecasted for tomorrow looks like a passing shower. I’m not complaining at least the monsoon conditions have gone away.

I have used cardboard & wood chip mulch in the paths since I first started the garden. It doesn't last long or keep the weeds at bay. I'm a bit neurotic about weeds in my garden, I wish I wasn't, but they bother me & I seem to waste too much time on them. I was thinking of slate stone with like creeping thyme in between or even small crushed rock. But it's on a hill so everything ends up at the bottom (including the mulch). I think I just need to get over my hate of weeds. :lau

I finally got the green bean seeds in the ground. The sprinkler is running now. It’s so dry out there. I had to cross a newly grown patch of poison ivy to get the hose up to that garden. I’ll be jumping into the shower shortly. The plan is to set up the sprinkler between the grape vines and the rock garden tomorrow. Then I’ll focus on trimming up the grass. I only have 2 more small gardening areas left to prep and I won’t need them for another two weeks for the warm season crops. Time to catch up on other stuff. The mustard I planted last week is coming up already. That’s up with the grapes, oregano and lavender. Time to wash the poison ivy off.

What's interesting is how much more impressive the volunteer plants are compared to my indoor started ones. Stalks are double the thickness, at least. I can hit them with the hose stream and they don't even budge.
I agree with this statement. I have a Black Truffle cherry tomato that grew between two cement blocks straight in the dirt. I water it through the two holes on the cement block. It grows more vigorous than my self-watering kratky tomato plants growing next to it. I am using it as a mother plant to make clones, this Black Truffle cherry tomato seem to be resistant to the TYLCV in my yard. It produced a lot of fruit for me last year.

Last edited:
Chilly, grey day. I got another 15' of clay dirt dug out of the perimeter. I should have taken a "before" picture. :hmm

I'll be getting the dog crates out tomorrow to begin hardening off the starts in the green house. We have mid-high 70s for the next 8 days, and lows in 50s.

If we're threatened with frost, I have a contingent plan for the plants if they're in the ground. If they're still in pots in the dog crates, I can move them back to the green house.

I got this gluten from amazon today, it supposed to make my bread taste better. I have never tried it, but I saw a video saying just a tsp of it will turn my regular flour into bread flour. I'll try tomorrow and see if there is anything special to it.

I am 3 days into making my San Francisco Sour dough starter from amazon. The instruction says to keep adding water and flour until I see a lot of bubbles. It takes just as long without it, so I don't see any benefit of using it, unless it has a different taste.

I am using my home-made mushroom grow covers for my pickles and this starter, pressure from the fermenting gases doesn't build up with this cover.
1715729869178.png

DSCN0377.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom