What did you do in the garden today?

Morning. @Wee Farmer Sarah how did you fare? It looks like you're getting snow up there. I woke up to sleet hitting the window, but thankfully it's above 34* so only sticking to the grass a bit. Hopefully this is the last of this, it's time to garden!
We have about 4 inches of heavy wet snow on top of 1 1/2 inches of sleet. But fingers crossed 🤞 we still have power. Here’s my Wee Beastie Max out for his morning potty.
IMG_6615.jpeg

Interesting idea. I really need a way to keep the squirrels out. The dug up some onions and strawberry crowns we just planted yesterday. I replanted them, but some of the crowns looked damaged. Looks like I'm missing a few pea plants too - my guy tells me squirrels dug up the peas before they even sprouted. I might try a bunch of plastic windmills from the dollar store. Not interested in trying chemical odor deterants. In mild weather windchimes seem to help too, but it's too windy too often this time of year.
A friend uses some CDs she got at a thrift shop, some old PC software installation discs, but music CDs work, too. She just strings them up with fishing line & they blow in the breeze. Deter everything except crows, they actually like to play with them lol.

I used Prism Kale instead of lettuce on my baked Gordan's beer batter fish burger with tartar sauce. My Kratky Prism Kale has a soft texture and can be eaten raw on sandwiches or salad.

I am really getting into these frozen Gordan's beer battered pre fried fish. I am going to load up on them the next time I go shopping at my Local Walmart. I wonder if Costco has anything comparable or carry them?
Our Dollar General has them.

Good morning all! Well, the sun is shining this morning & birds are tweeting, such a glorious morning!

We had a tornado warning across 2 counties, but thank God no tornadoes. We got some serious wind & thunderstorms shake the house & flicker power in the night, so cleaning wind blown tree & debris is on the agenda 1st. We do get more rain later today at some point but not much. How does all this stuff from other yards many acres away, end up in my yard? Got huge puddles & yard flooding but the structures stayed dry at my place so I am happy. I need to let it dry out today, probably till tomorrow. I am chomping at the bit to till here! The chicken pens are in need of attention. I am considering a lot of sand for them...this mud is a PITA.

Anyway, my tomato sprouts are already leaning for the sun this morning, gotta spin them around. I like this forecast much better...sunshine is good! 🌞
Screenshot_20240404_074446_WBOC Weather.jpg

Minimal closets, totally missing a coat closet...I mean Who designed this pathetic house? No attic, no basement, no pantry, no garage. I had to have a garage built & I currently have sheds for storage. It's true we use some stuff seasonally, but mostly we really do wear 20% of our clothing (our favs or weather/work appropriate) 80% of the time. I'm usually in work clothes, chicken clothes, gardening clothes or cozy house clothes. I'm going to donate a ton of clothes that I won't be wearing, some never ever worn. Stuff has gotta go! Make more room for bird & gardening related stuff! 👍
I feel your pain. Our house was built in '65, 1394sqft. With a detected garage, with two smaller roll up doors... Laundry is out there. Our house has small rooms, small closets, no Attic, no basement and no pantry. We have two small hall closets. One is full of my husband's jackets and shoes, the other is stacked with my canned goods. We're going to sacrifice the raised bar seating on the L of our kitchen counter to put in shelves for more mason jars of food stuffs. We're also talking about making a custom wall long storage cabinet in the eat in area and moving our table so I have even more storage. I don't need kitchen gadgets or special tools... I need room for food! Lol
Have you tried growing marigolds? They're supposed to deter nematodes.
I do plant marigolds, the infestation I had was so bad that they didn't do much good.
That's not good. I know it can get to be annoying, but compromise is necessary.

I'm not a plant in a pot kind of person, so it annoys hubs a lot when I just toss the plastic nursery pots into the bulk trash. Someone comes and takes them every time, and I'm good with that; I don't need them hanging out in my shed cluttering up my space.
Not only that but the unused plastic pots are just black widow condos. 🤣 I only save the giant ones and a few good quality small ones for moving shrubs and olallie Berry babies.
I believe only the French marigolds deter nematodes if you do givea try. try.
Those are the ones I plant in the raised beds and containers. I plant the super tall ones in the yard because they're beautiful in the summer and the deer leave them alone.

I need to make a list of all the stuff I want to do/have done in the garden, and then prioritize it.

Weed
Build/weave a trellis for pole beans/peas
Weed
Plant the spinach/kale
Weed
Plant peas
Weed
Dig the bit of grass I missed by the grapes
Weed
Put some hay over the rest of the dirt by the grapes where that bit of grass was
Weed

See a pattern here? :lau

Back
Top Bottom