What did you do in the garden today?

Today was spent driving to Pinjarra to grab a big capacity incubator that I'm chuffed with since it's pretty clean and has a lot of neat features. So I'll be sorting them tonight and hopefully running between 60-90 eggs.

As for the garden, things continue to roll. Happy with the eggplants kinda. I probably need to fertilize more often. I decided to rip all the cucumber types that were next to my passionfruit kratky. Chickens got a score of PM riddled green waste. I decided to leave the okra there for now to see what happens. I think it's okra. Either that or Rosella. I'm starting to get the two mixed up LOL.

The climbing beans are doing work despite the heat. I'll get a cover on them soon. I also rolled out my two tier coop to it's final resting place in the chicken run and that'll keep me busy tomorrow. I also had to fill the big concrete water tank by running the bore pump which pumps bore water into the holding tank then I use that water with a normal 240v pump.

I wish my garden was a bit more filled. I don't like how barren it is in places but maybe I am just impatient. My oriental plane tree out front continues to die and since tomorrow is going to be a scorcher of 36c the poor thing will probably utter its last breath. 36c isn't much of a scorcher really but with the way this thing is going I wouldn't be surprised if it gets killed off. It's kinda funny because on the flemmings card it states well-draining fertile soil and I used up all my compost. Maybe the error was not mixing the sand into it enough or adding some sort of coco/perlite.

Tomorrow I'm also picking up a heap of 20L and 10L free drums from a nearby suburb that I will use for my quail coops and the IBC wicking bed. What I might do is cut slits into the drum length ways instead of across so it still maintains its structural integrity when all the wet soil is sitting on it. I'll probably run a big mesh panel across the top of them to help distribute the load. Still on the fence as to what to use. Feel like it's gonna be some sort of drainage gravel; the river sand would never work unless I socked the drums. Maybe a combination of sorts where there's an inch or so of coco on top of all the gravel.

Anyways. I gotta start playing with these monitors and the incubator. I managed to save up 99 quail eggs for it LOL.

Attachments

• passionfruit kratky c.jpg
    passionfruit kratky c.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 3
  • kala.jpg
    kala.jpg
    722.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Okra bubba.jpg
    Okra bubba.jpg
    692.4 KB · Views: 2
  • A lot mor ebare.jpg
    A lot mor ebare.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Sunflowers rollin.jpg
    Sunflowers rollin.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Climbing bean.jpg
    Climbing bean.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Eggplant.jpg
    Eggplant.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 1
⚠️ Home Depot normally has something like a 30-day return policy on tools. However, if you use a Home Depot credit card to buy Ryobi tools, you get a 1-year return for any reason exchange period. There is some added value to using a Home Depot credit card if you are buying Ryobi tools at the store (or online).
Oh wow, I've been debating buying one of these for awhile, but couldn't justify the price - but this is a super deal, and Mr. Dog has a Home Depot card!

Been cranking out the applesauce, every time I empty the crockpot I immediately fill it up again. Also pickled the final cukes, 5 pints of sweet and sours.

Still have a lot more beds to winterize, but got one planted with garlic and covered with leaves.

We had 2 days of hard frost, so my dahlias are black and done - next task is to dig up and store the tubers so we can enjoy them next year!

Tomato plants are black and wilted, but there are still so many nice-looking ones - no cracked ones or softies, but their flavor is blah. More for the chickens!

Oh wow, I've been debating buying one of these for awhile, but couldn't justify the price - but this is a super deal, and Mr. Dog has a Home Depot card!

I have all the tools I really "need," so I am more than happy to wait for those special Ryobi Day deals that come up about twice a year to pick up on any tools on my "want" list. The Ryobi 18v Brushless 6-inch Pruning Chainsaw was on my "want" list for only a short while, but it came up for their Black Friday sale at too good of a price for me not to try it out.

For those in the know, when you purchase these Ryobi tools on sale, the register receipt rings up as two separate items, heavily discounted. In my case, the $150.00 pruning saw was marked down to $60.00 and the $99 Special Buy 2 pack batteries and charger kit was marked down to $40.00. You can return either, or both, items if you want. The amount of the discount per item is determined by the retail value of the free item you pick out for the purchase.

I find it hard to return the 2 pack 4Ah battery pack with charger for only $40.00 when the normal retail price is $100 per battery and about $40.00 for a charger. I once bought a Ryobi tool on a deal like this that I turned out not to like, but I kept the battery pack kit because of the low price. This well-known "hack" in the Ryobi ecosphere is great for us consumers. You don't have to feel bad if you decided to return either item on these deals. Ryobi knows what they are doing, and they make money by setting the deals up this way.

I don't know why Home Depot does not make a bigger deal out of the 1-year return policy on Ryobi tools when you use their Home Depot credit card. If you don't like it, or it breaks within that first year, it's really nice just to get your money back. They have had that policy for a number of years, but I suspect someday they will take away that program as well.

:tongue Speaking of which, Home Depot no longer takes any tools back for warranty repairs. You have to send it back yourself to a repair company, on your dime. That's an unfortunate change in their policy. With 3-year and 5-year warranties on some items, you might find out that it would cost you more to send in a tool repair than the used tool is worth. I suspect that is why Home Depot dropped that program.

All the more reason to use the Home Depot credit card to get that extended 1-year return period on Ryobi tools. I don't know if they have the same program with other brand tools. You would have to ask.

Leaves are mostly down. I think I will mow with the bagger and add to the compost pile today. Nice day today.

That's what I do, except I dump the leaves in the chicken run. The chickens break down and compost the leaves faster than just sitting in a compost bin. And the chickens love playing in a pile of leaves. Cheap entertainment for me.

The original earth box is kind of expensive and they don't sell it where I live. I would have to order it online and pay for shipping, so I decided to make my own, the totes cost only $12 each and are kind of durable. I had the ones in the picture out in the sun for about 5 years.

I stacked two totes from Lowes and screwed two 2x4 on the top tote for the water reservoir and drilled some drain holes and two holes to fit two 4-inch net cups. The reservoir holds around 4 gallons of water.

I had to put a 1/4-inch wicking rope in the net cup to make up the 1/2-inch gap underneath. but I think I could cut the bottom of the net cup out and cut the rim off another one and slip it in to make up the gap. I will try that on my next build.

View attachment 3675118View attachment 3675119

Thanks for posting your DIY 2 bin Earthbox again. I really think that is a great system.

For those interested, there is another method of cutting the top lid of the bin to make the bottom barrier between the water reservoir and the growing medium. That way you only have to use 1 bin per DIY Earthbox. Check out the YouTube videos for ideas.

Here is one that I liked....

I'm smelling a skunk out there, somewhere. I think it might be under the shed. Ugh

:idunno :lauI hear mothballs work great to deter skunks taking up residence under houses and sheds. Maybe so. But then you have to put up with the mothball smell.

:tongue Lesser of two evils I guess.

Good luck, in any case.

Back
Top Bottom