What did you do in the garden today?

I think it was two days ago I mentioned that the rattlesnake bean runners were growing fast. At that time I noted where one vine was on the trellis. Today (2 days later) it looks like it's spiraled upward 8 inches! That's some fast growth!

My other two rattlesnake rows need their trellis put in place... still! It's going to be a green bean tunnel between two raised beds if everything goes as planned.

And my cukes seem to be starting to send out tendrils, so they need their trellis too.

Maybe tomorrow...

Waiting for the rain that is supposed to show up tonight, tomorrow and Sunday.

All garlic has been pulled and is now drying on a wire platform except for the last variety.

Planted some rutabaga and beets today, where the last batch of garlic was pulled from.

Tonight I dug up the purple Viking potatoes (purple skin, white interior) and baked them-very good!

A ladybug in the asparagus
IMG_2280.jpeg

Some of the violets - look at how dark some of these are!
IMG_2281.png

All garlic has been pulled and is now drying on a wire platform except for the last variety.

Planted some rutabaga and beets today, where the last batch of garlic was pulled from.

Tonight I dug up the purple Viking potatoes (purple skin, white interior) and baked them-very good!

View attachment 3561677

View attachment 3561678
That looks like a native, bright orange ladybug. Not one of those imported ones that are sold for aphid control in gardens. Nice!

Baked taters sounds good. With butter, I hope.

View attachment 3561677

View attachment 3561678
Johnny jump up violas are a favorite of mine.

That's what I've been reading. They thrive on stumps because they like an acidic environment, the rotting wood (they prefer fir tree stumps) provides the exact nutrients they need, and the dead stump and its roots trap moisture and hold it through long dry spells.

Red huckleberry plants are not drought tolerant, but by growing on the stump they can survive dry weather. The huckleberry roots even follow the dead tree's root system into the ground.

I found a great article on growing red huckleberries this morning.

http://skilledwright.com/redhuckleberries.htm

Instead of starting the cuttings in pots I think I'll cut off several 6 inch lengths of dead, partially rotted fir tree branches a few inches in diameter.

I would bore holes a few inches deep into one end of the dead branches and use them as natural "pots" to root the cuttings in. When (or if) they take root and start growing I could then plant the tree-branch "pots" into existing dead stumps.
That was a great read! It sounds like you stand a good chance of getting them to grow.

Thank you! People don't realize that bees need a place to drink. A container with some stones or a rough edge that they can grip with their feet is excellent, better than a smooth surface.

I've scooped a couple of bees out of buckets that had water in them. They go for a drink, end up in the water with no way to get out.
I see bees, wasps, and hornets drink out of my little ponds by landing on the water lily pads and perching on the edge.

Back
Top Bottom