What did you do in the garden today?

I have a few things in right now - potatoes, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, and cool weather flowers.

It's warm enough to begin planting everything else. I just haven't had time. I've been working long hours for work, taking care of my granddaughter, or out of town. I will be gone part of this weekend too but hope to get SOMETHING done on Sunday afternoon maybe. Right now I'm targeting the majority of stuff for the weekend of the 21st.

On a positive note, the water line for the garden is being installed this week! :celebrate So I should be able to install the irrigation system next weekend too!
U start any seeds inside or you just gonna throw em in the ground? I've got numerous cold weather stuff going outside but unsure when to just go for moving all my seedlings out! We are still dipping in the 40s at night here.
I was a little too eager with starting seeds in that heatwave we had in February so I got big ole tomato plants everywhere that I keep moving in and out and all around lol!

Winding down before bed and I randomly switched the Dish over to Dish scapes. It's supposed to be a spring farm scene. That blue house amongst the flowers is a chicken coop.

View attachment 3464302

CLEARLY whomever designed this Dish scape has never owned chickens... Nary a flower would be seen, let alone left planted in the ground....if my girls had anything to say about it. 🙄
Well, if there was only the ONE chicken in the pic…a few plants might have survived. But, you’re right, it wouldn’t be that pretty!

Good morning gardeners. Still plugging away at the planting. I moved the lavender planters out to the front of the chicken yard. They look amazing. I may need to divide the plants this year. I planted 3 short rows of red onions this morning and planning on getting the leeks outside and planting more onion seeds. All my seeds have sprouted inside except the 2 poblano cells and 1 jalapeno cell. I'm waiting for the secondary leaves before up potting them. I'm still only planting cool season crops for now. The long range forecast for next week has us dancing into the frost warning for a morning or two. Good news, my little apple tree is sprouting leaves. I was concerned. My forsythia and peach tree have not bloomed yet. Curious. Maybe the plants know what's happening with the weather. I really want to put my rosemary plants out but don't want to risk losing them. I hope to do some watering later today. Everything is really dry. Warm temperatures and higher than normal temperatures. It got up to 70F yesterday and likely will get that warm today. The next 2 days the highs are expected to be in the 80's so I'm guessing a little drink of water would be appreciated. And definitely @WthrLady and @Acre4Me, chickens and gardens are really not a good idea. Only when the season is complete and you need some help ripping up the old plants. LOL!

Its supposed to be 90 here on Fri. 😡 80 today. Even that’s too hot for me! But I’m sure were not done with frost. We are under a red flag warning all week too because its so dry & windy.

DH turned on the outside water yesterday so I attached all the hoses so I can reach all the chicken waters with it. Beats carrying 3/4 of a gallon at a time! So I filled the waterers & watered the strawberries, blueberries, EWO, garlic, lettuce, fig & herbs. I was able to clean up the leaves from the herb bed too. I need to water the peach tree but I’m quite sure I over did it already today & I will pay later.

What is that ground creeping vine thing with little purple flowers that has taken over my life? It has roundish dark green leaves. It puts out roots everywhere it touches ground so it’s impossible to pull up. I have no idea how to get rid of it & it drives me batty. Any ideas?

Planted more peas today. I went from just a row to a whole 3x8 bed of peas. I wasn't putting anything else in there, so why not more peas I figured. I watered as well.
I need to deal with thistle... it's spreading with underground running roots. I cannot possibly dog them all up, especially since some of the runners are several inches deep in the soil. Anybody have ideas? I need something safe four people as these weeds are growing in/around or vegetable garden beds.
Thats not the stuff I’m talking about ^ up there is it? I’ll get a pic soon…

Winding down before bed and I randomly switched the Dish over to Dish scapes. It's supposed to be a spring farm scene. That blue house amongst the flowers is a chicken coop.

View attachment 3464302

CLEARLY whomever designed this Dish scape has never owned chickens... Nary a flower would be seen, let alone left planted in the ground....if my girls had anything to say about it. 🙄
THE ONLY thing I miss about DISH is the Dishscapes.

Planted more peas today. I went from just a row to a whole 3x8 bed of peas. I wasn't putting anything else in there, so why not more peas I figured. I watered as well.
I need to deal with thistle... it's spreading with underground running roots. I cannot possibly dog them all up, especially since some of the runners are several inches deep in the soil. Anybody have ideas? I need something safe four people as these weeds are growing in/around or vegetable garden beds.
Thistle is a pain in the asparagus. Best you can do around food is to keep digging it, plant around it as densely as you can to starve it out. When I dig them, I douse the hole with vinegar, and replace the soil, then plant a ton around and on top of the thistle area, which helps starve them out. Handfull of rye, or barely, or peas works.

Its supposed to be 90 here on Fri. 😡 80 today. Even that’s too hot for me! But I’m sure were not done with frost. We are under a red flag warning all week too because its so dry & windy.

DH turned on the outside water yesterday so I attached all the hoses so I can reach all the chicken waters with it. Beats carrying 3/4 of a gallon at a time! So I filled the waterers & watered the strawberries, blueberries, EWO, garlic, lettuce, fig & herbs. I was able to clean up the leaves from the herb bed too. I need to water the peach tree but I’m quite sure I over did it already today & I will pay later.

What is that ground creeping vine thing with little purple flowers that has taken over my life? It has roundish dark green leaves. It puts out roots everywhere it touches ground so it’s impossible to pull up. I have no idea how to get rid of it & it drives me batty. Any ideas?
creeping charlie?

Back
Top Bottom