What did you do in the garden today?

Came across this little deal on Lowe's website. It's a 2 ft x 4 ft galvanized steel raised bed for $40. I bought 2 of them so I could qualify for free shipping.
Screenshot_20230226-195652_Chrome.jpg

Here's a new one for my books.
I reprocessed my three failed jars of beans.
When I took them out of the canner, all of them had sealed, lowered, no dipples left closed.
I went to bed.
When I got up this morning, all the dimples were down, BUT I ALWAYS ping check them.
Batch 1, ping, ping
Batch 2, thud, thud, thud
WTH???
I took the rings off and very gently pulled on the top, came RIGHT off like there was never a bond at all - BUT THE DIMPLE WAS DOWN!

Had I NOT checked, they would have gone on the shelf and spoiled and oozed, or worse, spoiled and been used (had I been a novice canner).

WTH BALL?!?!

Now I'm going to be ping testing AND lift testing AND sight and smell testing everything in my pantry when I go to use it.
Im sensing the beginnings of a class action lawsuit with Ball. So many people have posted about issues with their lids. Its just not good. And, if one is a novice — well, they are in for serious cases of food poisoning, or worse, potentially.

Nice, my parents use something similar and have had really good luck with theirs!
I have had my husband build several from 4x8 sheets of galvanized metal roofing and 2x4s. I could build one bigger for less but that involves adding more to my Honey-Do list.... 😂 So I opted to go ahead and spend the money to pick up a couple that I can easily put together on my own without his help. I have several others that I'm going to need his help on....

I'm picking my battles! 😉

If anyone is interested in Dwarf Tomatoes, this is where to get the tomatoes from the Dwarf Tomato Project. https://victoryseeds.com/collections/dwarf-tomato-project

I might be able to keep dwarf or determinate tomato plants covered with an insect bag, so they don't get infected by the weird stunting virus in my yard. They come in multiple sizes. This might be a cheaper option then a 8ft long x 4ft wide x 6ft high grow tent with led light and exhaust fan.
https://www.temu.com/1pc-garden-bug...uits-protection-cover-g-601099513500849.html?

Last edited:
Here's a new one for my books.
I reprocessed my three failed jars of beans.
When I took them out of the canner, all of them had sealed, lowered, no dipples left closed.
I went to bed.
When I got up this morning, all the dimples were down, BUT I ALWAYS ping check them.
Batch 1, ping, ping
Batch 2, thud, thud, thud
WTH???
I took the rings off and very gently pulled on the top, came RIGHT off like there was never a bond at all - BUT THE DIMPLE WAS DOWN!

Had I NOT checked, they would have gone on the shelf and spoiled and oozed, or worse, spoiled and been used (had I been a novice canner).

WTH BALL?!?!

Now I'm going to be ping testing AND lift testing AND sight and smell testing everything in my pantry when I go to use it.
I have had that happen once! Pulled a jar off the shelf & the lid almost just fell off, popper was down. Now I always pull on them before putting them away. I’m glad I ran out of Ball jars! Not only annoying but super dangerous too.

I opened a jar of broth the other day that was sealed tight but had some black (my instant thought was black mold, but I don’t really think it was) all over the inside of the lid. I threw it out. Ever seen that? Made me question home canning, lol.

So has anyone ever heated nest boxes? Were finally getting snow so I can’t get out there to collect eggs, I was thinking of putting my heated seed mat to good use in the nest box. Any thoughts on why that wouldn’t be a good idea?

I have had that happen once! Pulled a jar off the shelf & the lid almost just fell off, popper was down. Now I always pull on them before putting them away. I’m glad I ran out of Ball jars! Not only annoying but super dangerous too.

I opened a jar of broth the other day that was sealed tight but had some black (my instant thought was black mold, but I don’t really think it was) all over the inside of the lid. I threw it out. Ever seen that? Made me question home canning, lol.

So has anyone ever heated nest boxes? Were finally getting snow so I can’t get out there to collect eggs, I was thinking of putting my heated seed mat to good use in the nest box. Any thoughts on why that wouldn’t be a good idea?
Do you think it would produce enough heat to make a difference? Would you put it in the bottom and cover with straw?

Good morning gardeners. I just ordered 2 new snow shovels from Walmart that will arrive today. After clearing the additional flurries from my front sidewalk I noticed the blade was in in bad shape. The forecast now is for 5 to 7 inches of new snow coming in overnight into Tuesday. I wouldn’t use the seed mats in the nest boxes myself @Sueby. They really don’t produce all that much heat and the chickens might be pecking holes in them.

I have had my husband build several from 4x8 sheets of galvanized metal roofing and 2x4s. I could build one bigger for less but that involves adding more to my Honey-Do list.... 😂 So I opted to go ahead and spend the money to pick up a couple that I can easily put together on my own without his help. I have several others that I'm going to need his help on....

I'm picking my battles! 😉
Do you have a pic of those boxes? Thinking about cheapest way to add a few more at my house!

Do you think it would produce enough heat to make a difference? Would you put it in the bottom and cover with straw?

Good morning gardeners. I just ordered 2 new snow shovels from Walmart that will arrive today. After clearing the additional flurries from my front sidewalk I noticed the blade was in in bad shape. The forecast now is for 5 to 7 inches of new snow coming in overnight into Tuesday. I wouldn’t use the seed mats in the nest boxes myself @Sueby. They really don’t produce all that much heat and the chickens might be pecking holes in them.
So I ventured out of the garden thread (shocking, I know) & posted on it & Dobie posted that this is how she does it & has no issues. It’s not supposed to be super cold so I think they might add just enough warm to keep them from freezing, but we’ll see. I use excelsior material in my boxes so they can’t really get to the seed pads to peck at them…hopefully. I finally have eggs coming & I don’t want them freezing & cracking & ending up with egg eaters so I feel like I have to try something.

Back
Top Bottom