What did you do in the garden today?

went to get SUV....see where this is going?
Dang, what a PITA. I'm sorry you had such a morning.

Stories like this make me glad I live in Michigan. Snow, sometimes too much, but not usually. Cold, but not too much, usually. Usually not too hot in the summer. (DH disagrees with all of this. He'd love more snow and less heat.)

Tornados and straight line winds are a possibility, but rare. I've seen hail big enough to dent a car (nickel sized) once in my lifetime.

Here's a given: lots of dreary days in the winter. January is the worst.

I am thinking about using pelleted gypsum for my tomato plants, instead of pelleted lime. Does anyone have any experience with this gypsum product in the picture?

I was doing some research and found out that lime has calcium, but it increases the ph of the soil and a tomato plant was on the list of plants that doesn't like alkaline soil. Where as gypsum also has calcium, but it doesn't affect the ph of the soil, so its better for tomato plants.
Yes, use gypsum if you need calcium, it will not raise your pH, and the powdered stuff is fine. That's all we ever used in California where the soil is alkaline.
For anyone with fruit trees/vines.. How do you keep the birds from getting your cherries, grapes, apples, etc?

Do shiny objects or streamers work? The plastic owls? Scarecrows?

I'm trying to avoid having to put netting on the trees. Mostly because I know it will be a real pain in the butt to get on and off.
Draw some big eyes on the shiny side of CD's and hang them up, but wait until the fruit is almost ripe enough to peck. That worked for my figs.
Based on my You tube research, I conclude that the sun gold cherry tomato is something that I must have....................................while I am at it, I might as well add sun sugar and black truffle tomato seeds.................done, arriving Friday.

Sungold is a great tomato. I am trying black cherry this year because it looks promising that it can set fruit in Florida heat (high day and night temps).
The base for the greenhouse is done.
Looks great. I used something similar for my 6x10 base. I was able to use the greenhouse in the middle of summer with 30% shade cloth, two automatic vents, a fan, one panel removed so I could use a diy swamp cooler, and on the hottest days a mister. Best I did was 90 inside when it was 104 out. If your summers are humid to begin with (mine were dry in Cali), it will be harder to keep cool.

I ordered delivery from Walmart for groceries yesterday because

1. I HATE going into Walmart
2. It was pouring
3. I was uber busy at work

I ordered some romaine lettuce for the bunny. What they delivered was beyond pathetic and infested with spiders. I need to put together a tub and start growing my own indoors. Ridiculous what they deliver as edible these days.
Romaine is SO EZ to grow - I started with some saved seeds from transplants I got from a neighbor years ago. I just planted some of those saved seeds from at least 3 years ago and most germinated very well.

This is business as usual.

If it was in the store, it'd sit on the counter until it rotted and then they'd be forced to throw it in the trash.

BUT, since you are too lazy to go do your own shopping (in their POV) let's give it to you, because you are probably going to be too lazy to come in to complain about it, and I won't have to throw it away then. If you do complain, we make it difficult for you, to discourage you from complaining in the future, plus it employ's a few other dirt bags to handle the complaints.

IF you must have fresh stuff delivered, goto one of the more local stores that kind of specialize in 'food' like the IGA's and the likes. Getting fresh food from walmart is like talking to the prostitutes about virginity....NOT the best choice for quality.

Remember, your order is probably being handled by some worthless Z's who barely have time to look up from their phone, let alone care about the quality of your order, or even have a clue... about what's good food quality and what's not good.

Aaron
I've ordered fresh romaine from them before and not had any problems. I don't typically order produce from them. Maybe only a couple of times per year. I usually go to a locally owned (employee owned) store for produce & meat but will buy from Walmart for very specific things like bulk items. I only included the romaine on this order because I was out of greens. Btw, the Walmart in my town is not a supercenter. It's just a neighborhood market so typically is cleaner and more "friendly" than the other places. Also, this is Walmart HQ backyard. Another reason why they don't usually "slum" it around here...

Back
Top Bottom