What did you do in the garden today?

what about using netting like a fish net?
Aaron
You will need to be a bit more specific in what you are suggesting. There are different types of fish netting. Other considerations - how would I be tying it the trellis? And how much does it cost? The produce bags are $62.95 for 100 ($0.62/each) or $15.95 for 10 ($1.60/each). How does this compare to the fish netting?
A sling made of nylons or netting would probably work.
I used insect barrier netting. It's the same netting I have over my hoop house. However, it still didn't offer enough air flow, especially when you "bunch" the ends to tie it up. I could purchase a 1" netting similar to what I have over my chicken yard and cut it up to size. This would allow the necessary air flow and could possibly be similar in price but would require some work to create a sling from raw material.
Think about burlap as a sling ?
Just bought a few rolls for plant hanging.
I wouldn't suggest burlap. Based upon my experience with the t-shirt fabric, it did not offer enough air flow around the fruit and, given the moisture & humidity where I live, caused problem with mold.

For those who are curious, here's an example of how the bags can work. The bags have a drawstring at the top that you can use to attach the bag to the trellis. If you have a larger bag (like the one pictured here), you'd also need to tie the bottom to the trellis so it fully supports the weight of the melon. In this case, the bag also "catches" the melon when it's ripe and separates from the vine. This keeps it from falling to the ground.

1674099169800.png

I have an idea on when to water my grow bags. I'll wait for the bottom of the bag to feel slightly dry. This will force the plant to send down its root to the moist bottom under the bag. I am still figuring things out, the last thing I want to see is dropping leaves, split tomatoes and blossom end rot.

My chicks are doing a fine job of thinning my seedlings for me. They have done a particularly good job on the window boxes, where I had started tomatoes, peppers, coriander, and a couple of boxes of mixed salad greens. I had expected the chicks to be more destructive, especially now that they're probably about a month old, but the population pressure is very low, and they prefer their mix of mash and broken grains.

Hey all.

I’m sad, my garlic & onions are starting to sprout. & I mean my eating ones, not the ones in the garden. 😂 I wish I could find a way to store them past Jan. If only I had a basement. I may put them in the fridge to stretch it a little longer, bad idea?

I think my oldest bird is on her way out. She stopped laying a week or so ago & yesterday someones poop looked like scrambled eggs so I would imagine a reproductive infection. She still looks ok & is eating, but shes kind of hanging on her own. She is a favorite of mine, I wish there was something I could do for her but I think the best I can do is have DH put her down. I will see how she is later today or maybe tomorrow. I don’t want her to suffer.
That’s what I would try probably, although I’ve had them sprout in there too. It takes longer that’s all.

I have an idea on when to water my grow bags. I'll wait for the bottom of the bag to feel slightly dry. This will force the plant to send down its root to the moist bottom under the bag. I am still figuring things out, the last thing I want to see is dropping leaves, split tomatoes and blossom end rot.
My grow bags always dried out in the middle last rather than the bottom so I ended up using a moisture meter.

You can roast the garlic, then puree it and put the paste in an ice cube tray then freeze. This should keep them for up to a year. Just a thought @Sueby. Storm headed our way. Geese have been flying a bit further South for two days now. May actually need the snowblower this time.
Good idea!

Back
Top Bottom