What did you do in the garden today?

We got freezing temps all week here in TN...I covered my raised bed that has the garlic and lettuces all in it.
Do I need to uncover it on warmer than freezing days?
And how do I water it if it's freezing or below?
What did you cover them with? If you used plastic, it is possible they will get condensation on the inside that will drip and help with moisture. I would think if it was in the high 40s and 50s, you could uncover but otherwise I wouldn't. I have carrots and lettuces under plastic tunnels now and we are in the 20s, I do not water or uncover. I am not sure if the lettuce has survived as I haven't checked today but the carrots have been fine.

What did you cover them with? If you used plastic, it is possible they will get condensation on the inside that will drip and help with moisture. I would think if it was in the high 40s and 50s, you could uncover but otherwise I wouldn't. I have carrots and lettuces under plastic tunnels now and we are in the 20s, I do not water or uncover. I am not sure if the lettuce has survived as I haven't checked today but the carrots have been fine.
I didn't use my frost cloth cause it was late at night after dealing with my sick mom and I wasn't thinking so grabbed first thing I thought of in garage...heavy duty painters drop cloth...? 🙃

I didn't use my frost cloth cause it was late at night after dealing with my sick mom and I wasn't thinking so grabbed first thing I thought of in garage...heavy duty painters drop cloth...? 🙃
If you have time, energy, etc I would just replace that drop cloth with your frost cloth today, if you can. Hopefully it helped!

We got freezing temps all week here in TN...I covered my raised bed that has the garlic and lettuces all in it.
Do I need to uncover it on warmer than freezing days?
And how do I water it if it's freezing or below?
Here in CT I do not cover garlic, they grow just little greens in the fall (a couple inches) & develop some roots so that they survive the cold & snow all winter to come back in the spring. I do put a good layer of straw on them though so they don't heave out of the ground. What zone are you? I'm 6a & here there is no need to cover garlic, it does fine.

& lettuce I keep covered as long as it survives. I will bring water out every once in a while but the ground stays pretty moist here till it freezes this time of year, even covered.

Here in CT I do not cover garlic, they grow just little greens in the fall (a couple inches) & develop some roots so that they survive the cold & snow all winter to come back in the spring. I do put a good layer of straw on them though so they don't heave out of the ground. What zone are you? I'm 6a & here there is no need to cover garlic, it does fine.
I'm in zone 5, and I do the same. Just some straw/pine needle mulch so they don't frost heave out of the ground. The cloves were planted about 2" below the surface. The tip of the clove is 2" below, I mean.

I'm zone 7B. I do cover my garlic with straw. Probably don't need to but do it to be cautious.

I am growing my lettuce and brassicas under the cover of bug netting (inside hoop house or under row covers). Mine was still killed by the freeze despite being covered. It was OK when the temps were hovering around freezing but dropping into the 20s was just too much.

Supposed to snow tonight.

Back
Top Bottom