What did you do in the garden today?

Way behind again, the weather's been cool, down to 45 at night but up to 95 today (not normal, it's been topping at 75 most days), super freaky. The tomatoes are starting to ripen, I picked all the wax beans and pulled down the vines. Cucumbers are next to pull. Picked the crab apples and regular apples, the crabs will be jelly and the regular apples will be apple butter. Miss Prissy has started laying, tiny white eggs but every day since she started. She's so tiny, we kind of assumed she'd never lay at all.

20220907_161059.jpg
20220909_123819.jpg

I dug another trench for hugeling. Yeah, I turned that into a verb. :) I also found either one of the raccoons or the ground hog I killed and buried in the garden. He can help with the hugeling.

I'm doing all this digging in the sandy soil garden. No way could I dig a trench that deep in the heavy soil garden. So the heavy soil will get amendments on the top, and the sandy soil will get them buried. We'll see how it goes.

Garden season is winding down. I have to get my tomato and zucchini plants pulled and burned. I’ll leave the beans and cucumbers a bit longer, I had 7 nice sized cukes yesterday and a bunch more growing which is unheard of, plus buckets of beans every few day! Fall kale is taking forever, I haven’t ever had a problem with it but the cabbage moths are showing no mercy this year. Thinking I’ll let the ladies into the garden for cleanup work pretty soon…a few butternut growing which will stay on the vine til it frosts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom