What did you do in the garden today?

I shoveled.
coopsa.PNG

summer below...
coopa.PNG

Good afternoon garden folk. Not going to make it outside, but I did get stuff. The worm bin is ready, but when I got up this morning the worms were nasty smelling and dead so I’ve asked for a replacement shipment. They weren’t all that lively yesterday so if the company gives me any hassle I’ll go to a local place I found online and get some instead. My walking onions came, they were suggested as a companion for the apple tree, and I got the comfrey and yarrow seed as well.

Oh yeah, and corks to make ollas.

Some things with carrots

1. Ignore them mostly. Lightly spread seed, and then thin when you can, fairly early, but then ignore them. They grow painfully slow it seems.
Those were all great tips for carrots! Ignoring carrots really seems the best tactic, I got more last year than I ever have. I planted them close to the tomatoes and got a pretty good harvest when thinning them - that first harvest had huge tops that the rabbits loved - then the tomatoes grew over them and I lost track of them until I was trimming the tomatoes back. That harvest had tiny tops but really nice roots.
I continue to make small gains every day in my recovery .
Really glad you're recovery is going so well. Gives DP and encouragement for her surgery.
Can't wait for my bananas to ripen. I really don't like Cavendish, mine are an apple banana type. If you live in a banana growing region there really are plenty of varieties to choose from to plant
I've found a couple kinds of bananas in stores and the really short plump ones are so good when they are perfectly ripe. Plus home grown bananas just sound like magic. Like home grown unicorns. :)
i cried staring out the window at my snow covered (8+ inches) garden. YEP true story
:hugs
Any other recommendations on what to plant? I am very new to planting edible foods. Thanks!
Don't forget garlic, onions, and shallots. Carrots are great if you aren't in a hurry too.
Goodness, it's really easy to just ramble on and on here! :ducIt helps me get my thoughts organized, though.
Same here, this thread has been an excellent idea generator for gardening and cooking as well.
I thought you were gonna tell you shoveled all that snow and the bottom pic was your after picture :gig
I thought the same thing!

We had a big storm here a few nights ago and the wind took down the white shed and blew out part of the greenhouse. Should all be fixed in a few days. Today we got some wire fencing put up around the bird feeders. We'd just had nylon netting before but between our dear moose barging through and the cats finding any resulting opening, there isn't much protection for the birds.

Any other recommendations on what to plant? I am very new to planting edible foods. Thanks!
Plant what you would enjoy or already like. Green beans (bush type) grow pretty easily, or beans for drying (like pinto or black beans). Soybeans for edamame are easy. Bush green beans can be grown in pots too. Don’t forget strawberries!! Can grow in pots ot towers, or even in gutters mounted on a fence. But strawberries produce best the second year, so don’t expect much the first year and pinch off all runners and flowers first year to help root development (well, ok, leave some flowers for a few strawberries that first year).

Plant what you would enjoy or already like. Green beans (bush type) grow pretty easily, or beans for drying (like pinto or black beans). Soybeans for edamame are easy. Bush green beans can be grown in pots too. Don’t forget strawberries!! Can grow in pots ot towers, or even in gutters mounted on a fence. But strawberries produce best the second year, so don’t expect much the first year and pinch off all runners and flowers first year to help root development (well, ok, leave some flowers for a few strawberries that first year).
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom