What did you do in the garden today?

@WthrLady I’m so sorry! I’ve had those attacks in the middle of the night, although not the shakes. I hope you’re feeling better.

I couldn’t let a gorgeous day go to waste. It’s partly cloudy and around 72*. I planted more carrots and a few bush pickling cukes. Got out the peppers, tomatoes, squash, Armenian cukes and luffa to start next weekend and got the wagon set up as the greenhouse. I need to fill some pots with dirt and it’ll be ready to go. I used the clips from pants hangers that Igor cut off to hold the fabric together.
2D3584D3-D2FB-4EC7-BFA0-0A18739BC989.jpeg
061A1E43-35B2-4943-AF2C-15610436A76F.jpeg

I bought potato starts already - since last year they all sold out online (broader variety selection) before Covid had much impact. So, I purchased some and they were quite pricey, it seemed to me.
Menards sells seed potatoes (potato tubers not actually seeds) in the Spring near me every year. I believe they are in 3 lb bags for $6-8. They grew well for me in 2019. The 2020 planting got flooded just a week after planting and the potatoes rotted before they got the chance to grow. The catalog prices on potatoes were something like $10/lb. I thought that was insane so I'll hold out for Menards again.

@WthrLady I’m so sorry! I’ve had those attacks in the middle of the night, although not the shakes. I hope you’re feeling better.

I couldn’t let a gorgeous day go to waste. It’s partly cloudy and around 72*. I planted more carrots and a few bush pickling cukes. Got out the peppers, tomatoes, squash, Armenian cukes and luffa to start next weekend and got the wagon set up as the greenhouse. I need to fill some pots with dirt and it’ll be ready to go. I used the clips from pants hangers that Igor cut off to hold the fabric together.
View attachment 2465461View attachment 2465462
I think I'm going to tent my straw bales like this to get seeds to start and die before I spread them as mulch. We are entering the wrist of winter now though, so there's no rush. Thanks for the inspiration though.

Catalog prices for potatoes usually account for the shipping costs, and I can't get organics or neat varieties here, so I pay it.

We picked our peck of pickled peppers. We chose to order early jalapenos again, Shishito pepper as something new. Probably bells and hot peppers from our collection for the rest.
I be a shishito variety of hybrid before called takara peppers. They were really good. Great slices up and tossed in with eggs. Good in salad too. I had to buy because they shared their name with my wife.

Menards sells seed potatoes (potato tubers not actually seeds) in the Spring near me every year. I believe they are in 3 lb bags for $6-8. They grew well for me in 2019. The 2020 planting got flooded just a week after planting and the potatoes rotted before they got the chance to grow. The catalog prices on potatoes were something like $10/lb. I thought that was insane so I'll hold out for Menards again.
Gurneys has them $12 for two pounds of seed potatoes. I purchased Yukon Golds there and they give you an estimated shipping date.

I'm able to start buying seed potatoes at the farm store or even our country market store about the end of February. The range of variety is crazy for not being potato country. Meaning we have kind of crappy soil for it. The population, however, being of heavy German and Slavic descendants are big on taters and grow a lot of their own for personal use.

I'm leaning towards planting only what I find hard to buy at a price that beats local market price vs planting. For example I wont do peas, onions, potatoes or green beans anymore.

I think if I tried to only grow what was cheaper than buying I wouldn't be growing anything. Except maybe heirloom green beans and radishes. XD

My goal is to try to grow as much of my diet myself as possible and learn enough about growing in our climate to someday build a sustainable community farm as part of the Ecovillage/intentional community group I volunteer with. So I'm always building on how to grow old favorites better and trying out new varieties.

I usually get most of my seeds and starts at the local farm store because they are usually cheaper and higher quality. Though this year I ordered most of stuff online because of how hard stuff was to find last year. We managed to get most of ours since we knew the rush was coming and sure enough about a week later you couldn’t find bulk seeds anywhere in the county. A lot of the local farmers couldn’t even get seed this past year. I’m sure stuff will start selling out immediately this year. I’m going by there today to pick up feed and straw and I’ll ask when they expect to start getting stuff in.

Back
Top Bottom