What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Pics
Nope this is par for the course. Exhausting hot heat in summer and freezing in the winter. So this is my life now, misting chicken feet in the summer and crocheting hats in the winter. Cool, it’s how I always pictured chicken keeping lol.
I see y’all with the laughing emojis! But I’m serious. Once upon a time I pictured myself in a sun hat and apron, going to the cutesy wootsy coop collecting eggs, while I sprinkled feed as my fat chickens bach bached good morning.
The reality: I don’t wear a sun hat because I can’t find the damn thing. I stay cut up from either wire mesh or chicken wire. Maybe I stuck my finger in wrong place picking up Myrtle and she paid me back with a lovely pinch on the ear. I’ve got god only knows what on my knees from cleaning the coop, and a manicure for me is digging out the chicken poop from my nails. AND I haven’t seen any sign or hint of an egg.

Raw eggs are great for them and they love them. I crush a few clean eggs up about once a week, shells and all...scramble and serve. Especially during their molt, add a little cat food or tuna in water. (Not oil, too much salt)

Raw eggs are great for them and they love them. I crush a few clean eggs up about once a week, shells and all...scramble and serve. Especially during their molt, add a little cat food or tuna in water. (Not oil, too much salt)
That’s the nastiness recipe I’ve ever heard of, which means my gals will love it. I’ll try it this evening. Thanks!

We learn from other people, from books, over the internet, many places-- over time, one tends to pick up bits of information, and after a while the total is quite impressive.

It is important to know enough to provide what your chickens need (mostly safe housing and appropriate food and water.)

Beyond that, it is mostly for fun. For any group of people that know a lot about a subject, they do seem to speak a different language, and they soak up more information very quickly when it is on their favorite subject. I've seen that with children and adults in many areas of interest. Examples include: Legos, computer gamers or programmers, Mathematicians, many kinds of scientists, English literature teachers, history buffs, fans of a particular series of books or movies or TV shows, woodworkers, knitters, quilters, gardeners, people into raising or showing any kind of animals, people making robots, tabletop gamers, etc.

It just seems to be something people do when they get very interested in a subject, and find other people who share that interest. You will tend to notice the ones who have the most to say, which means the ones at your own level just do not stand out as much.

I like to browse hatchery websites. They usually tell a little bit about each breed, often with different details on the websites of different hatcheries. I can't say whether the birds in the photos are good examples of the breeds, but they might be examples of what the hatchery actually sells ;) I end up knowing more about the breeds that are attractive to me, and ignoring the breeds that don't appeal to me, so my knowledge of breeds is a bit patchy.
Where did you find a partial list of my interests? I need to know for reference. LOL

My broody Joannie and a couple of her eggs. She's my darkest layer. She's head hen and a super good momma, so I've got no worries with her.
Did you check her feet for SLM (that’s scaly leg mite for the newcomers on this block) .
They look a bit awkward. 😬

Great egg color, btw. Mine are just small and plane off-white. A couple of times I had a tiny egg, even smaller as a quail egg. It’s called a fairy egg.
IMG_3369.jpeg

So, I tried giving all of the chickens our bones and stuff from KFC (I refuse to eat directly from the bone, so mine usually has a lot of meat left, and I hate throwing them away), and most of them just gave them a cursory peck, and hauled off with bits of mac and cheese instead. 🤣 Then they forgot about everything when I gave them the raw eggs that they laid today. My birds are weird. 😅

Where did you find a partial list of my interests? I need to know for reference. LOL
I just thought about my own interests, the interests of people I know, and the things that drive me crazy because I'm not interested but other people keep talking about them :lau

And since I see that you are new: welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Back
Top Bottom