What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Pics
What are your normal temperatures? If this is within your normal range, or isn't a huge jump from your recent temperatures, they'll most likely be fine. I had birds slightly older than yours by two weeks or so when we got MUCH warmer temperatures (40°C+) and they were fine. I didn't do anything for mine, other than having them in a shaded area with access to water.

Even if there is a sudden rise in temperatures, your birds should be fine. You're doing everything right. Panting is part of cooling off!

What are your normal temperatures? If this is within your normal range, or isn't a huge jump from your recent temperatures, they'll most likely be fine. I had birds slightly older than yours by two weeks or so when we got MUCH warmer temperatures (40°C+) and they were fine. I didn't do anything for mine, other than having them in a shaded area with access to water.

Even if there is a sudden rise in temperatures, your birds should be fine. You're doing everything right. Panting is part of cooling off!
Nope this is par for the course. Exhausting hot heat in summer and freezing in the winter. So this is my life now, misting chicken feet in the summer and crocheting hats in the winter. Cool, it’s how I always pictured chicken keeping lol.

@scyllarus its 96 degrees here in NC and 9.9999 % humidity. I’m contemplating bringing my chickens into a the house…are you sure you want to move to the south?
I'm currently in Florida 🥵

I grew up in Georgia, so any movement north would be an improvement. The quail are currently in shade, with plenty of water, a wading pool, and I put out some apples and corn (some of their favorites + provides hydration). There's water bottles in the freezer for tomorrow since it'll be 98F.

Edit: I forgot, they have a perpetual fan to deal with mosquitos and biting flies. So that's still a thing for the heat!

I'm currently in Florida 🥵

I grew up in Georgia, so any movement north would be an improvement. The quail are currently in shade, with plenty of water, a wading pool, and I put out some apples and corn (some of their favorites + provides hydration). There's water bottles in the freezer for tomorrow since it'll be 98F.
I’ve got the ice water for my gals and frozen watermelon. Hm I wonder if chickens like wading pools??

I’ve got the ice water for my gals and frozen watermelon. Hm I wonder if chickens like wading pools??
I've done small pools of water like a oil change drain pan or cookie sheets. The wife freezes water bottles to put in their water. (Be careful with this, you don't want to shock their system). She also does up little frozen bowls of fruit, raw eggs, bird seed, etc. and on super hot days I'll put a frozen water bottle buried in their bedding on one side of the nest box. It can get pretty hot and stagnate in there in the heat.

I've done small pools of water like an oil change drain pan or cookie sheets. The wife freezes water bottles to put in their water. (Be careful with this, you don't want to shock their system). She also does up little frozen bowls of fruit, raw eggs, bird seed, etc. and on super hot days I'll put a frozen water bottle buried in their bedding on one side of the nest box. It can get pretty hot and stagnate in there in the heat.
I freeze pots of fruit and chicken feed in yoghurt. They love it.

I've done small pools of water like an oil change drain pan or cookie sheets. The wife freezes water bottles to put in their water. (Be careful with this, you don't want to shock their system). She also does up little frozen bowls of fruit, raw eggs, bird seed, etc. and on super hot days I'll put a frozen water bottle buried in their bedding on one side of the nest box. It can get pretty hot and stagnate in there in the heat.
Raw eggs? Like just freeze an opened egg? I have a spare cookie sheet, I can do a little water for their tootsies. I’m guessing chickens don’t swim. I’ve never one anyway.

Back
Top Bottom