What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Pics
Man, once I am out of the hospital (my sister has an appointment with Endo), I am going to go get messed up from the toes up, and I am coming back here to bother the living 💩 out of all of you. That will add some life to it! 🤣😘

flashing despicable me GIF

You should meet some quail people, They are just as insane as chicken people :th
Hey! Most of us are normal!...Sort of. Most of the regulars in the Quail section of the forums are horribly practical people with advice like "Feed your quail gamebird feed" "Have a plan to kill every person rooster you meet" and "Don't tolerate violence in the flock."

That what I was thinking, aren’t quail eggs really small? Depending on how many they’ve got it may be over a week for an omelette.
So - more seriously, here's your infodump about quail (from one person's experience):

Most people keep coturnix (Japanese) quail, button/king quail, or bobwhite quail for pet or food reasons. They do not have the little head dingles. The head dingle quail (California quail, etc) are basically wild birds that some people keep for aviary reasons.

Button quail are teeny (the smallest true quail) and not related to buttonquail, which are a completely different species of bird. They're kept in pairs as pets because they're super pretty. You could eat the eggs, but they're like...half the size of a regular quail egg. You could eat the birds but honestly I'd rather just buy a single chicken nugget, it would be cheaper and faster for the same amount of meat.

Bobwhite quail are native to the east coast of the USA and are kept/bred for meat and hunting reasons. It's actually still a thing to release a bunch of bobwhites onto a patch of land in order to hunt them with bird dogs (which are not birds).

Coturnix quail are the most common quail, the quail that lays the quail eggs, and the best I've saved for last. They're the most domesticated of all quail and the most likely to bond to humans, but they're still savage little creatures that scalp each other at the slightest provocation (only a slight exaggeration in some lines). I would say people keep them for eggs (very popular in Asian cultures), meat (also popular in Asian cultures, would recommend Vietnamese fried quail or Cantonese roast quail), and as pets. They're probably your best alternative if your city/county/whatever doesn't allow for chickens/poultry as they're considered gamebirds (loophole!), the male's crow is significantly quieter than a chicken rooster, they're easy to hide or keep indoors, and you can keep more of them per sq ft than chickens. It's around 3-5 quail eggs per chicken egg.

I like them a lot, but not gonna lie I'm excited to get chickens once we move. We ended up with quail because 1) they're not illegal for us to keep and 2) the Husband saw I needed more support animals. Poor sod.

Editing to add that some people raise quail as pet/other animal food. Reptile keepers often use smaller eggs and/or birds. Dog/cat owners who feed raw will source quail either for variety or because their animal is allergic to common proteins.

Last edited:
Hey! Most of us are normal!...Sort of. Most of the regulars in the Quail section of the forums are horribly practical people with advice like "Feed your quail gamebird feed" "Have a plan to kill every person rooster you meet" and "Don't tolerate violence in the flock."

So - more seriously, here's your infodump about quail (from one person's experience):

Most people keep coturnix (Japanese) quail, button/king quail, or bobwhite quail for pet or food reasons. They do not have the little head dingles. The head dingle quail (California quail, etc) are basically wild birds that some people keep for aviary reasons.

Button quail are teeny (the smallest true quail) and not related to buttonquail, which are a completely different species of bird. They're kept in pairs as pets because they're super pretty. You could eat the eggs, but they're like...half the size of a regular quail egg. You could eat the birds but honestly I'd rather just buy a single chicken nugget, it would be cheaper and faster for the same amount of meat.

Bobwhite quail are native to the east coast of the USA and are kept/bred for meat and hunting reasons. It's actually still a thing to release a bunch of bobwhites onto a patch of land in order to hunt them with bird dogs (which are not birds).

Coturnix quail are the most common quail, the quail that lays the quail eggs, and the best I've saved for last. They're the most domesticated of all quail and the most likely to bond to humans, but they're still savage little creatures that scalp each other at the slightest provocation (only a slight exaggeration in some lines). I would say people keep them for eggs (very popular in Asian cultures), meat (also popular in Asian cultures, would recommend Vietnamese fried quail or Cantonese roast quail), and as pets. They're probably your best alternative if your city/county/whatever doesn't allow for chickens/poultry as they're considered gamebirds (loophole!), the male's crow is significantly quieter than a chicken rooster, they're easy to hide or keep indoors, and you can keep more of them per sq ft than chickens. It's around 3-5 quail eggs per chicken egg.

I like them a lot, but not gonna lie I'm excited to get chickens once we move. We ended up with quail because 1) they're not illegal for us to keep and 2) the Husband saw I needed more support animals. Poor sod.

Editing to add that some people raise quail as pet/other animal food. Reptile keepers often use smaller eggs and/or birds. Dog/cat owners who feed raw will source quail either for variety or because their animal is allergic to common proteins.
Wow thank you for the info! I can understand keeping quail just for pets/beauty. I have LOADS of wild birds here, and I dearly love just watching them. Very informative replay, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom