What’s the best coop to get? Mites won’t go away

feather16

Songster
6 Years
Jul 30, 2017
CA, USA
About two years ago I got a build it yourself coop from tractor supply, unfortunately it’s pretty cheap (but was quite $$$) and now in the past 2 months I’ve done two complete deep cleans in the coop, spraying every inch, nook and cranny with permethrin/water spray AND I STILL HAVE MITES! The flock doesn’t have bugs, they are clean from their ivermectin drops. Every time I clean the coop I dust it with DE, garden pest powder AND first Saturday lime before loading in the pine shavings.
My conclusion is it’s the coop. I don’t know if that makes sense, but it’s a cheaply made coop and I just need to burn that one and get them a new one.
My flock is down to 6 and a separate flock of 5 (two roosters, they split themselves) the flock of 6 is the coop that has mites.
What are some GOOD company’s to buy coops from? Or should I buy a plan and make it myself?

I’m just tired of opening the door and my hand be covered in 5-8 mites each time. It’s the red and tan ones if it matters. I know some mites live a long time no being on a bird.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I appreciate any guidance:)

Ideally looking for a coop to fit 6+ for some room to add, or if the other flock decides to join the other at night (not likely but like to keep options open)

Ideally looking for a coop to fit 6+ for some room to add, or if the other flock decides to join the other at night (not likely but like to keep options open)
Hmm Cube may be too small then, if fits 10 bantams but less larger birds. In my system I use several smaller Omlet pens and one Cube, but if you want one larger coop you may need something different.

FWIW.

Getting rid of red/poultry mites is difficult regardless of what coop one has. They live off the host and in various cracks/crevices that most coops have; particularly near roosts where they have easy access during the night to stationary birds. They can also survive without visiting a host for many months (I have read up to 9 but...).

Mites also have a life cycle and most insecticides eliminate the adults only. This means that one needs to work with the cycle and re-apply the insecticides on a weekly basis over a number of weeks. One also needs to use different insecticides to avoid "your mites" from developing a resistance to one particular brand/type.

Obviously the various plastic coops have fewer cracks/crevices and, in theory, should be easier to be rid a mite infestation. However, this does not mean it will be easy.

I have read stories of farmers back in the day burning coops to eliminate mites, seems extreme but illustrates the point.

Good luck!

Last edited:

If one looks at the linked thread you will see lots of wood being used inside the plastic shed: roosts, nest boxes, etc.. Plastic sheds can make excellent coops but will always have to be modified and almost always that will involve the use of wood. The run itself will also contain wood.

If a red mite infestation occurs plastic coops with wooden modifications will provide places for them to live and they will continue to be difficult to eradicate.

There are no magic solutions. Mites occur naturally in the wild and can be spread through the dropping of birds flying over, animal intrusions (including mice) into the runs, inadvertent contact with other locations/chickens, free ranging etc. I have modified my run to be completely covered by a roof and no longer let my birds free range.

While not fool proof PREVENTION is key and best practice is create a covered coop/run combination that is totally secure and follow strict bio-security rules.

Thank you for your responses!

I’m having a difficult time restricting the wild birds eating with the chickens, and I’m not going to stop letting them free range when I can. The pest control sprays have worked like magic in the past, just not this time. I can try to do a deep clean weekly, and see if that makes a difference.

I had no idea about the plastic coops, maybe I’ll give them a shot, gotta say I’m not thrilled with buying a huge amount of plastic, but I also can’t buy a new coop every few years. Thank you for broadening my horizons on coops!

Every time I clean the coop I dust it with DE, garden pest powder AND first Saturday lime before loading in the pine shavings.
Even before you had bugs?
How often did you clean.
Using insecticide preventatively can create resistance.

It's not the coop....no coop will prevent pests.

Well the hens have no bugs on them and no egg sacs that I’ve found on them. So my only guess is the bugs are just staying in the coop. It’s maddening.
I deep clean 2x a year and do a regular clean (no spraying down with permethrin) every other month, or as needed. And it’s worked great for the last 3 years except this fall/winter. I also only apply topical ivermectin on the birds once a year as a preventative.
Should I mix up my pesticides or something?

Back
Top Bottom