Week old chick swollen crop, need advice.

Edenfield93

Hatching
May 6, 2024
Hello all,

Hoping for some help. I have a week old chick that appears to have a swollen crop. Still he good energy, eating, drinking, etc. I noticed it very slightly last night but nothing concerning since it was the end of the day.

Today I noticed it was rather large, squishy and not hard, and a small “bald” spot at the top by her neck. I’m very new to owning chickens so everything I’m thinking so far has just been from research this morning. It let me message it gently nothing came up after the light massage. I have isolated in a separate pin to be able to withhold any food or liquids for a few hours. Basically starting initial treatment like sour crop but I have no clue if that’s the case.. all other chicks are fine. anyone else have this issue before and can help that would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_8358.jpeg
    IMG_8358.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8359.jpeg
    IMG_8359.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8360.jpeg
    IMG_8360.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 3
What do you feed, including treats? Do you provide chick grit? What are you using for bedding? Is the crop empty first thing in the morning before the chick eats or drinks?

What do you feed, including treats? Do you provide chick grit? What are you using for bedding? Is the crop empty first thing in the morning before the chick eats or drinks?

For these little ones, pine shavings for bedding, yes to the chick grit, purina starter/grower for food, and mostly just small pieces of whole grain oatmeal for snacks. This is the first time I have noticed this and I handle my chicks daily so I would say yes to the crop being empty in the mornings.

For these little ones, pine shavings for bedding, yes to the chick grit, purina starter/grower for food, and mostly just small pieces of whole grain oatmeal for snacks. This is the first time I have noticed this and I handle my chicks daily so I would say yes to the crop being empty in the mornings.
As long as it is pooping well and the crop is emptying properly you have nothing to worry about.
Chicks stuff themselves and have an enormous crop compared to their body size, it is normal for them.

And welcome to the BYC community! :frow

As long as it is pooping well and the crop is emptying properly you have nothing to worry about.
Chicks stuff themselves and have an enormous crop compared to their body size, it is normal for them.

And welcome to the BYC community! :frow

Thank you, I’ve been a little stressed/worried today haha.

First time chicken owner but technically 11th chick I got and raising (I didn’t believe chicken math was real lmao) and this is the first time one of their crops have been so prominent and swollen.

Since separation this afternoon only 1 small poop BUT a perfectly healthy looking poop (thank you chicken poop chart also from here lol) and I also did a mouth sniff test and it doesn’t smell bad as if it had sour crop.

Thank you, I’ve been a little stressed/worried today haha.

First time chicken owner but technically 11th chick I got and raising (I didn’t believe chicken math was real lmao) and this is the first time one of their crops have been so prominent and swollen.

Since separation this afternoon only 1 small poop BUT a perfectly healthy looking poop (thank you chicken poop chart also from here lol) and I also did a mouth sniff test and it doesn’t smell bad as if it had sour crop.
It is good to keep an eye out when raising chicks. This way you will immediately notice when something is off.

For any questions that may arise with your chicks, there will always be someone here on BYC to help. :)

Back
Top Bottom