Week old chick suddenly limping in one leg?

CitrusDuck

Hatching
Nov 8, 2020
Hey folks, we recently ordered 51 chicks from meyers and lost about 12 out of 15 of the same breed within the first 2 days, the others were healthy and fine - only about 3 others died suddenly overnight. There was no heating pad during the delivery process for some reason, but we moved them into a box with a heat lamp on the first day. The temperature was monitored and they had plenty of space to move around it. This is the 11th day we've had them, and today one of the only 3 faverolles left was found laying slightly on the side. She is still alert and responsively chirping, but keeps all the pressure on one leg to stand and tucks in her other leg. The leg doesn't seem to be entirely paralyzed, seeing that she can still control it from the thigh/knee, but just chooses to not put any pressure on that leg and keeps it raised.

Her toes are not curved and her legs aren't splayed; I tried massaging where her tendon would be a little and it didn't seem to do anything for her. There is no visible bruising or swelling on that leg, though the knee joint of the other leg she is using seems a bit darker and more swollen (giving that she's probably using all the pressure there). As for the temperature, both legs felt about the same, neither warm or cold, though the color seems the tiniest bit duller on the "injured" leg.

In terms of the cause, they have not been let out of their box before so a fall injury is impossible. I also suspect Marek's disease and a faulty report on the vaccination from the breeder, seeing that 12 of the 15 chicks became lethargic quickly or perished suddenly overnight, and it supposedly can cause paralysis. Although I don't know enough about the development of the disease and whether it can affect chicks of this age. We provide fresh feed and water daily as well.

For now I have moved the chick to her own box with a plush for company, who she seems fond of at the moment. She has not been eating or drinking on her own since I found her in this condition about 5 hours ago, but still chirps in a content way and tries to move around when interacted with. The box is heated

If there are any suggestions for what may be the cause (for both the leg and perhaps the loss of the other faverolles) and what actions to take, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

EDIT: I moved in another chick with her for company and motivate her to eat, and she actually started pecking at her food as soon as the other chick came in. Despite her limp leg she is cuddling up with the new chick and make small happy chirps, so I'm not exactly sure what to make of it..

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Salmon Faverolle, about 1.5 weeks old, slightly smaller and skinnier than the others (when compared to new hampshire red, jersey giant, and the same breed)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Limping in one leg, only using the other leg to stand on
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
5 hours
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No visible injury
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Suspicions: Marek's, somehow injured by other chicks, possible vitamin deficiency?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Baby chick feed crumbles; as of the discovery she has not eaten or drank, I managed to make her drink a little when I checked on her
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal, since being moved to her own box she has pooped solid brown feces with some white coloring, and also more watery brown liquid (which is the same as the rest of the chicks)
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Providing some leftover grogel that she has refused; massaged the knee joint of her leg
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Hoping to do the best we can for the chick
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
1604820788686.png
1604820803450.png
1604820831320.png
1604820820131.png

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Newspaper with paper towels layered on top in the main chick housing; shaved bedding in her makeshift housing box

Last edited:
There are no symptoms of Mareks disease before 3 weeks of age and usually older. She may have a sprain or more likely, a slipped tendon. Slipped tendons sometimes can be put back in place, splinted, and treated successfully, but many chicks have to be put down. The hock joint may appear flatter than the other. Here is some info about slipped tendons:
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

I agree, she could have slipped a tendon or strained the leg. My duck recently injured his leg and also started leaning towards on side. I would just keep a close eye on your chick and make sure they don’t overuse it. Make sure they are still eating and drinking.

Thank you for the responses. I tried to follow the linked video and steps to reposition the tendon, but it seemed to be in the correct spot already. It both looks and feels identical to the other leg, so maybe it is a strain? I did notice that the chick was a bit reluctant to bend her knee forward, and the bending motion felt a bit stiff as well (though she can still bend it and sit down).
She is very chatty and eating/drinking just fine, but stumbles/falls around when she decides to move a little. On flat surfaces she still prefers to stand on one leg while the other shivers in the air. Her box is tiny with basically instant access to food and water so she doesn't have to travel at all, but should I give her a leg brace to reduce the movement/strain on her leg? As in the kind that wraps around the leg, and not the shackles used for splayed legs. If so, do you know what position of the leg might be the most comfortable and best for healing?

I would be more tempted to not splint, since we really are not positive about what is wrong. Splinting sometimes can slip and cut off circulation. We have seen a few chicks end up with a dead leg from improper splinting. If you do try it, just always keep checking the circulation.

The other possibility, besides slipped tendon or injury, would be a leg bone deformity that can become worse as they grow. There is one called tibial dyschondroplasia or TD, in which the bone actually twists as it grows. The others may be more noticeable, and those are varus or valgus deformity, or twisted tibia. Those may occur in just one leg or in both. Here is some reading about those:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/en-c...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...roiler-Chickens.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Thank you, I'll look into potential vitamin supplements that might help. If it is a sprained leg or a deformity, it seems like we will just have to wait and see how the chick does. I've decided to put a loose wrapping around the knee to prevent the joint from being stressed too much or twisted to the side; going to see how she feels about it and whether it improves her posture. Thanks again!

Most chick feed has all of the minerals and nutrients they need. You can give human vitamin B complex tablets 1/4 tablet daily crushed in her food or dissolved in a spoonful of water. Riboflavin (B2) is helpful with leg issues. Foods high in D3 are egg yolk and canned salmon/cat food salmon.

Back
Top Bottom