Very swollen below Eye (small Silver Sebright)

3cats

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
We are new to owning chickens, we adopted a small flock of 8 chickens from a farmer. All seem healthy and settling in nicely. However, one, a Silver Sebright, has a swollen eye that seems to be getting bigger and bigger over the last month. We've tried Poultry RX but this didn't seem to Help. It now looks very large and painful, though the bird continues to act normal otherwise. This is my first time posting so I took the recommended info to supply and filled it out below. If needed I'll try to get a photo of it.

Thank you to anyone that can give us a little guidance!

Sincerely
3cats

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Silver Sebright
Approx 1.5 yrs old
Approx 1 lb.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Normal behavior

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Her right eye is very swollen below and now around the eye, it's hard. Her eye is now completly swollen shut.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
We adopted a small flock, the swelling seemed to come with her, or at least start right after we got her.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Egg Layer pellets, water, also spends days in the yard & garden

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Sorry, not sure, haven't noticed anything though.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Tried Poutry RX for about 2 weeks, then tried putting a small slice in the swollen area to drain it, this did not work, it bled but nothing drained, feels too hard to drain. Applied Iodine after and now feel very bad for even trying
sad.png

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We would like to try treating ourselves if we can.

I'm sure you've done this, but just incase you haven't I'll tell you what happened to one of my hens. She had a swollen eye lid and she had a piece of something round stuck in the bottom of her eyelid. So I got it out and it cleared up. If there is something in there you might put some kind of human eye drops to flush it out if you can't get it out. I don't think it would hurt her at all. You might put some in just to flush it out even if you can't see what's in there. Hope this helps and good luck with your Sebright!

Andi
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom