Vent Gleet Questions

Palinor

Songster
Sep 10, 2017
Columbia, CA
Hey everyone!
I want to thank the folks that helped me on my last post diagnosing my girl as having possible vent gleet.
I have three silver laced wyandottes and I think two of them have it now. They're pretty young, we got them as chicks in the spring of last year.
I read the info page on vent gleet. I've tried giving them yogurt and they turn their beaks up at it. I got some apple cider vinegar as well.
I'm curious if anyone has a tried and true method? I read about the epsom salts as well but haven't tried that yet. They're free range birds to catching them is hard. I'd like to be as less invasive as possible but I also want them to get well.
Also what causes it? Do I need to clean out their coop more often? (right now it's once a week)

Last edited:
Sorry you are having trouble with Vent Gleet. Basically it's a fungal/yeast infection in the intestinal tract. You can usually smell Vent Gleet, it has a very powerful smell at the butt feathers. They too are usually stained heavily green. Is this the case with yours?

The easiest way to treat Vent Gleet is with Acidified Copper Sulfate. Copper Sulfate is added to feed for a source of Copper. In this case, you will be adding more to the diet. Copper kills off fungus and some bacteria's as well.

Always use the stuff for poultry only, along with using the Acidified stuff so they will drink it.

I get mine from Twin Cities Poultry, they usually ship same day, priority mail.

https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=340

It's mixed 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water, making a fresh batch daily. You can cut this down to make quarts as well. Dose this for 5 to 7 days. If the Gleet is responding by day 4 or 5 but not actively disappearing, you can up the dosage to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water.

Wash the butts off as well to get the gunk off as this can re enter the vent and make matters worse. Wash daily until you have this under control. You can also apply vaginal cream to the vent and just inside the vent too to help with this yeast infection.

Keep fruits and sweet foods out of the diet, they cause excessive yeast to grow. Stick to their chicken feed only until this episode has past.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Sorry you are having trouble with Vent Gleet. Basically it's a fungal/yeast infection in the intestinal tract. You can usually smell Vent Gleet, it has a very powerful smell at the butt feathers. They too are usually stained heavily green. Is this the case with yours?

The easiest way to treat Vent Gleet is with Acidified Copper Sulfate. Copper Sulfate is added to feed for a source of Copper. In this case, you will be adding more to the diet. Copper kills off fungus and some bacteria's as well.

Always use the stuff for poultry only, along with using the Acidified stuff so they will drink it.

I get mine from Twin Cities Poultry, they usually ship same day, priority mail.

https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=340

It's mixed 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water, making a fresh batch daily. You can cut this down to make quarts as well. Dose this for 5 to 7 days. If the Gleet is responding by day 4 or 5 but not actively disappearing, you can up the dosage to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water.

Wash the butts off as well to get the gunk off as this can re enter the vent and make matters worse. Wash daily until you have this under control. You can also apply vaginal cream to the vent and just inside the vent too to help with this yeast infection.

Keep fruits and sweet foods out of the diet, they cause excessive yeast to grow. Stick to their chicken feed only until this episode has past.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Attachments

• unnamed-5.jpg
    unnamed-5.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 52
Yes that does look like vent gleet. I would definitely give the Copper Sulfate a try to cure this for now. In the future, lots of probiotics will help prevent this too. After a heavy round of Copper Sulfate, you will need to use probiotics anyway, the Copper will kill off all good and bad yeasts and bacteria from the intestines.

I use AviBios, specially made probiotics for birds without any milk products as many probiotics do have. Many chickens are lactose intolerant. So I use this stuff...

https://www.amazon.com/AviBios-Probiotics-4-Ounce/dp/B017N93HGE

These will last you a very long time. I use probiotics in my flock's water several times a week.

Yes that does look like vent gleet. I would definitely give the Copper Sulfate a try to cure this for now. In the future, lots of probiotics will help prevent this too. After a heavy round of Copper Sulfate, you will need to use probiotics anyway, the Copper will kill off all good and bad yeasts and bacteria from the intestines.

I use AviBios, specially made probiotics for birds without any milk products as many probiotics do have. Many chickens are lactose intolerant. So I use this stuff...

These will last you a very long time. I use probiotics in my flock's water several times a week.
Thank you for the information! And to be clear I mix the copper with their water or their food?

Have you wormed them recently? After this episode is over, you might deworm them as well. When the intestines are compromised by illness, opportunistic parasites love to take over.

quickly, is probiotics be ok for ducks? The ducks and chickens share the same water source

Back
Top Bottom