Using a Indoor Grow Tent Setup as a Brooder???

Export_Pilot

Chirping
Dec 30, 2018
Vancouver, WA
Hello,

Wanting to get in to Chickens now that we have some Ducks.

It is almost the time of year again to do our indoor plant starts for the garden this spring. So I am Trying to figure out how to use what I already have and repurpose it to raise a dozen or so chicks for their 5-6 weeks or how ever long till they can survive outside?

I was wondering if anyone had ever used the lower half of a indoor grow tent as a make shift brooder?

The Grow Tent is 48" X 48" X 84"

The Few weeks we do our starts indoors the tent is about 80-85 degrees inside with the ccfl's and adding a custom cardboard floor pan and pine shavings and heat lamp or a heat plate would be simple.. But, we also have a Hydrofarm 48" X 20" Heat Mat and a Hydrofam Digital Thermostat that is very precise. not sure i that would be used for a heat source or would it be 2 large? Seen videos of people using medical type heating pads but never a follow up if they work?

The grow tent is well ventilated. We use dirt from the property to grow the starts in and now with the ducks we have some free fertilizer juice that from their pool and bedding.

Most the growing is a shelf 1 foot deep 3' high around the edge.

So the Chicks would have about 16 Square Feet and be sheltered from the house cats.

We do not use any large grow lights just t5-HO's.

My Garage is a machine shop so that is out of the question lots chemical smells, loud noise, an gets very cold and smokey when doors are open while welding.

Photo's of the Grow tent

20190201_125448-e1549055348541-768x1024.jpg

20190201_125613-e1549055507893-768x1024.jpg

20190201_125552-e1549055537540-768x1024.jpg

It is almost the time of year again to do our indoor plant starts for the garden this spring. So I am Trying to figure out how to use what I already have and repurpose it to raise a dozen or so chicks for their 5-6 weeks or how ever long till they can survive outside? It depends on where you're at and the weather. Chicks can go outside at 4 weeks old if the weather is warm.

I was wondering if anyone had ever used the lower half of a indoor grow tent as a make shift brooder? Yes, but I turned it on it`s side to give more room and fed from the top.

The Grow Tent is 48" X 48" X 84"

The Few weeks we do our starts indoors the tent is about 80-85 degrees inside with the ccfl's and adding a custom cardboard floor pan and pine shavings and heat lamp or a heat plate would be simple.. But, we also have a Hydrofarm 48" X 20" Heat Mat and a Hydrofam Digital Thermostat that is very precise. not sure i that would be used for a heat source or would it be 2 large? Seen videos of people using medical type heating pads but never a follow up if they work? A heat lamp is adequate as a heat source. Be careful it does not get too hot.

I'm not feeling that it is a good idea.
Chicks need good ventilation which they won't get in that tent.
Well ventilated for a plant isn't the same as well ventilated for chicks that poop a lot and put out a lot of dust.
They aren't that fragile. Chicks raised by hens can run around in freezing temperatures as long as they can run under the hen to warm up. A hen doesn't warm all the ambient air. She just provides a warm spot where the chicks can warm up.

Yea, Really do no want to use a heat lamp reason why I asked about the heating pad and Thermostat.

ChickenCanoe with the vents open and upper vent fans installed there is lots of fresh dry air.

The setup worked fine for me, but lacked the room for growing chicks. I plan on using it with my quail and smaller serama. As I think about it, it just lacks the room for any amount of larger breed chicks; a few, it would work.

I would not wish on my worst enemy living in a reflective tent with T-5 bulbs for any length of time. You say they are not "large" grow lights, but come on man......they are REALLY freaking bright. I have a 4 bulb T-5 fixture on my saltwater tank and I am blinded even just glancing at it from an angle/the side. From below.....with reflective walls. Nope. Bad idea. :oops:

I guess if you completely blocked off the lighting with a "ceiling" for the chicks, but then you would need to light it for them with a normal bulb or something. And the ventilation of their area would suffer.

When I used large ohio type brooders for lots of chicks (50-100+) I switched from infrared heat lamps to ceramic heat emitters. I liked that because I could go with various wattages depending on ambient air but more importantly, I could give the chicks a daily dark period while still providing light. They also don't break as easily as the glass type.
Now that my broodings are mostly under 50 at a time, I much prefer the Premier1 heat plates. Much more efficient.

Back
Top Bottom