*Update* Dog attacked chicken - ripped out tail feathers

HippieAtHeart

Peace, Love & Chickens ✌️
Mar 22, 2020
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Original post -https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dog-attacked-chicken-ripped-out-tail-feathers.1370426/

Okay so my hen made it through the night and I have since sprayed her with vetericyn twice, just bathed her and found a larger wound from where I’m pretty sure her feathers were ripped out so was part of her skin. I have some picture after cleaning and spraying her.

We are keeping her in the shed in a dog crate, have a heater going to try and take the chill off, there are fly strips to keep them way from her (not many, but don’t want maggots). I killed the only one that was in there that moved around while I was sitting with for about 30 minutes.

Aside from the spray should I be doing anything else? I just want it to heal okay and give her a fighting chance.

Attachments

• 4B5B8453-7597-40B0-A3D3-6415A35DC16F.jpeg
    4B5B8453-7597-40B0-A3D3-6415A35DC16F.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 11872A17-DA39-4DB2-AE87-A83CEC90C5B1.jpeg
    11872A17-DA39-4DB2-AE87-A83CEC90C5B1.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 23
  • A6D6324C-9A2B-4FF4-AF1C-8BD42BE58086.jpeg
    A6D6324C-9A2B-4FF4-AF1C-8BD42BE58086.jpeg
    404.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2B2C492A-F689-4A4D-B3CE-AD6707C258D7.jpeg
    2B2C492A-F689-4A4D-B3CE-AD6707C258D7.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 24
My chicken has ripped out my vulnerable chicken tail feathers and just caught her doing it again.

I would have started a new thread but no options are given.

My chicken has ripped out my vulnerable chicken tail feathers and just caught her doing it again.

I would have started a new thread but no options are given.
There should be a green "post thread" button at the top of this forum, next to were it says "emergencies / diseases / injuries & cures" there should also be a "thread title" option right above the "sticky threads"
I would advise separating those chickens before she does that again, and put her back once she's not vulnerable if that's possible. Also make sure she doesn't get infected. Are pics possible??

There should be a green "post thread" button at the top of this forum, next to were it says "emergencies / diseases / injuries & cures" there should also be a "thread title" option right above the "sticky threads"
I would advise separating those chickens before she does that again, and put her back once she's not vulnerable if that's possible. Also make sure she doesn't get infected. Are pics possible??
Thank you for getting back.

She is really nervous and adores Amber so I've tuck them both together Amber has mothered her since they arrived being only a month older. The naughty girl is on the perch away from them
20201130_134951.jpg

I couldn't get a good picture, but here is a tiny shoot of her. She's the white beauty and stopped laying her 3 to four eggs a week for some time now.

I've purchased a spray today to treat and problems I usually manage to make my own deterrents and treatments but on this I needed help. It's for chickens I should think there will a little iodine which would put anyone off and hopefully stop the pecking

Thank you for getting back.

She is really nervous and adores Amber so I've tuck them both together Amber has mothered her since they arrived being only a month older. The naughty girl is on the perch away from them View attachment 2431575

I couldn't get a good picture, but here is a tiny shoot of her. She's the white beauty and stopped laying her 3 to four eggs a week for some time now.
No problem, she's beautiful. What's it that makes her vulnerable, and do you know why she stopped laying eggs??

Back
Top Bottom