Unknown predator taking chicks at night

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
I have a bachelor pad that I have been using as a grow out pen and lately chicks are coming up missing. The first to disappear was a group of 5 2 week old Black Sumatra LF's. All gone in one night and without a trace. Our list of suspects were:

1) escaped enclosure and killed by neighbor dogs(so we filled in some chick accessable gaps).
2) human as a neighbor's brother had admired our Sumatra previously. Since then we keep all property gates locked.
3) Snake, but c'mon 5 2 weekers in 1 night?
4) Possum as we leave the entrance to the Main Sumatra Roost open so they enter/exit of their own free will mornings and evenings. There is a possum sized entrance between the two coop areas. However, I would expect a mess and headless chicks from a possum and or raccoon.
5) A cat but unless it were feral with kits I wouldn't expect 5 dead in one night and were it a fed neighbor cat dead trophys laying about.
6) Raccoon highly improbable but possible too, but once again no mess or injuries to my LF's.

Fast forward to one week later and my nastiest, meanest man hating when broody/brooding hen hatched out a clutch of two chicks and her porch brooding antics needed to see her relocated to the bachelor pad.

The first two nights were uneventful except for her charging me as I top off food and water. Her new digs have a 6 foot tall enclosed 50x75' 1x4" welded wire outer fence, contained within and on 2 sides abutting a 6' chain link fence. Next layer of defense is just a 2'x50' inner run for just her and the chicks with chicken wire to contain the chicks. There are two potential ingress/egress points in the coop itself and they are 2x4"sized gaps at the roof line connecting the bachelor pad to the main Sumatra roost section that I have left open for additional ventilation, and 1x4" welded wire over an adjoining section from the bachelor to main pen for a predator to get through. The front door faces a 30w compact florescent light that comes on at night so my chicken have some night vision.

For pictures of that coop please click here.

We had expected no further issues with a nasty intolerant hen guarding those two chicks. Unfortunately, last night 1 chick went MIA and without a trace, momma hen is uninjured and all appears well. Tonight I have no plans on relocating them but am going to add interior lighting with a flashlight set to low inside the bachelor digs side of her coop is our plan so momma can mount a better defense if that is the case.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm considering adding in HC at the roof line eaves if we lose the last chick. Also I am thinking at this point I need to turn the potential predator ingress/egress points into a muddy mess so I can collect more data/tracks/prints on what may be entering that coop.

Last edited:
Do you have a rat problem? They will kill a two week old chick and pull it back into their burrow.
Not one that I am aware of and we do have two cats that like to sleep stalk and kill things at night. The main but 13 year old 13 pound cat hasn't taken a rat in about 6 months and last year was taking full grown possum and of course any rabbit it could get. The younger 7 pound Siamese is still growing and unproven. Feed containers are maintained in rodent proof containers but I have been leaving the chick feeder station in place at night so we could have attracted some.

EDIT- We will be picking up feed and only feeding outside of the coop to minimize the rat possibility. Tonight we will install some low level lighting inside the coop so Hilde(momma) has a much better chance of discouraging possum/rats tonight.

Last edited:
Perp here that does similar is the Black Rat Snake. It is nothing to catch a 2 big ones on successive nights. Night time temperature when they are a problem usually in the mid to upper 70's. First thing I do is move broody hen into rabbit cages that are elevated.

Snakes larger than 4' are relocated some distance away.

The raccoons and opossums leave signs. Great-horned owls will take chicks even out from under a hen, but the owl usually gets the chicken all riled up.

I have had feral cats cause issues. Shoot those and be done with them.

Do not rule out Coopers Hawk taking chicks during day where hen cannot intervene.

Perp here that does similar is the Black Rat Snake. It is nothing to catch a 2 big ones on successive nights. Night time temperature when they are a problem usually in the mid to upper 70's. First thing I do is move broody hen into rabbit cages that are elevated.

Snakes larger than 4' are relocated some distance away.
Thank you for your input. I have removed feed, buttoned up the Sumatra roost door tonight as well, and installed my night light. It is the best chance she will get and if it is a rat snake that hen has the tools to beat it off. She is nothing short of vicious.

Back
Top Bottom