Ultramarine

Goodness. And I know all that is hard on them. I have friends in the small birds/aviculture world who have imported birds that go through quarantine. It would seem that the facilities don't go out of their way to care for the animals. One of the last imports of some really rare doves and some other stuff resulted in like five or six birds making it out of 50 or so? They weren't sick either. Just died in quarantine. :(
Great, more to worry about.

Great, more to worry about.
Sorry. :( It sounds like the Netherlands facility is nice for them to have been there for an extended time. And hopefully, the one in Florida is good as many things are imported into the US there. I've never quarantined like that before, so I'm not familiar. But are you able to see the setup? Do you send them the proper food or just hope they are doing their jobs correctly?

I hope they are taking good care of those birds! Do they let people visit to check on them like some facilities do for pets?

I hope they are taking good care of those birds! Do they let people visit to check on them like some facilities do for pets?
I would think not. That would defeat the purposes of quarantine. If they did have something and you picked it up and it got out of the facility, that could be bad.

I would think not. That would defeat the purposes of quarantine. If they did have something and you picked it up and it got out of the facility, that could be bad.

I thought quarantine was for animal specific diseases? All I know is you're allowed to visit dogs and cats in the super long quarantine in Australia (my moms an Aussie :p)

I thought quarantine was for animal specific diseases? All I know is you're allowed to visit dogs and cats in the super long quarantine in Australia (my moms an Aussie :p)
The quarantine is 'from' all other animals not from diseases and to wait for a disease to manifest itself if the bird came with something. No, they do not allow anyone on the property as that could introduce a pathogen onto the grounds of the quarantine area.

I'm not familiar with Australian quarantine per se, but I had an aunt and uncle who moved to Hawaii for a bit -- uncle was in the army. Their dog and cat had to be in quarantine, and visitation was allowed. This is because of what diseases they were quarantining against, and they weren't transmissible by contact with humans during normal visitation. This wouldn't be the case with birds, which can catch diseases brought in on people's shoes. And because those diseases could be spread to poultry raised for food -- not to mention the endangered native Hawaiian birds -- there's an extra level of being careful involved.
:)

Back
Top Bottom