SmithsCoop41

Chirping
Sep 29, 2023
Hey Y'all,

So, I've got a chicken that seems to have a pretty bad case of coryza? She's got a bad case of swelling around her right eye, other eye is fine. The right eye, is pretty much swelled shut, with some discharge. I have given her a mix of different natural herbs that I've read is good for different illnesses and all in chickens mixed in with her food. These herbs consists of cayenne pepper powder, oregano, thyme, cinnamon, parsley, honey, garlic, etc, but she doesn't seem to be improving. I honestly figured she wouldn't have made it this far, but she's a tough one. I have some questions regarding her state and any treatment or cure (if possible), that may help her improve/get better:

1. How do you know if it is for sure coryza, and not something else? (Symptoms/physical characteristics) (I know some illnesses have very similar symptoms to other diseases, sometimes hard to tell exactly which illness they may have)
2. How can you treat it?
3. Is this a illness that once the chicken has it, they will have it for life?\
4. Can it be fixed with the Terramycin eye ointment like you can get at Tractor Supply?
5. Are there any natural remedies that can help in addition to the Terramycin ointment, if the ointment will cure?

I do not want to have to put her down. Sadly, I realize that is the only option sometimes, in order to protect the well-being of the rest of my flock, but I always try to help first, if it is treatable/manageable.

Thank you in advance for help.

A un-happy chicken moma

Hey Y'all,

So, I've got a chicken that seems to have a pretty bad case of coryza? She's got a bad case of swelling around her right eye, other eye is fine. The right eye, is pretty much swelled shut, with some discharge. I have given her a mix of different natural herbs that I've read is good for different illnesses and all in chickens mixed in with her food. These herbs consists of cayenne pepper powder, oregano, thyme, cinnamon, parsley, honey, garlic, etc, but she doesn't seem to be improving. I honestly figured she wouldn't have made it this far, but she's a tough one. I have some questions regarding her state and any treatment or cure (if possible), that may help her improve/get better:

1. How do you know if it is for sure coryza, and not something else? (Symptoms/physical characteristics) (I know some illnesses have very similar symptoms to other diseases, sometimes hard to tell exactly which illness they may have)
2. How can you treat it?
3. Is this a illness that once the chicken has it, they will have it for life?\
4. Can it be fixed with the Terramycin eye ointment like you can get at Tractor Supply?
5. Are there any natural remedies that can help in addition to the Terramycin ointment, if the ointment will cure?

I do not want to have to put her down. Sadly, I realize that is the only option sometimes, in order to protect the well-being of the rest of my flock, but I always try to help first, if it is treatable/manageable.

Thank you in advance for help.

A un-happy chicken moma
I would go get some saline and the terramycin, flush the eye really good and apply the ointment. Can you post a picture of her eye please? Sometimes there is a hard pocket of puss in there that needs to be pushed out.

I would go get some saline and the terramycin, flush the eye really good and apply the ointment. Can you post a picture of her eye please? Sometimes there is a hard pocket of puss in there that needs to be pushed out.
I don't have any pictures right now. But the terramycin will help her get better after the hard kernel is taken out? And the terramycin I'm talking about is at Tractor Supply in a small tube, and is about $30?

Do you notice a bad odor from her beak and eye? It can be hard to tell MG from coryza, but coryza has a bad odor. Both can cause a swollen eyelid and face from a sinus infection. You can treat MG with oral antibiotic Tylosin in the water 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days. Coryza is a worse more serious disease. It is usually treated with culling or giving sulfa antibiotics, such as SMZ TMP or sulfadimethoxine.

With either MG or coryza, you can flush the eye with saline and try to press out any pus around the eye. Then twice a day use the saline, and follow that with applying a small dab of either Terramycin ointment from the feed store or plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Close your flock so that no birds are given away or sold. All birds may be contagious carriers even if no others show symptoms.

I don't have any pictures right now. But the terramycin will help her get better after the hard kernel is taken out? And the terramycin I'm talking about is at Tractor Supply in a small tube, and is about $30?
As @Eggcessive said you can use plain neosporin. They know their stuff, so listen to what they say.

Do you notice a bad odor from her beak and eye? It can be hard to tell MG from coryza, but coryza has a bad odor. Both can cause a swollen eyelid and face from a sinus infection. You can treat MG with oral antibiotic Tylosin in the water 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days. Coryza is a worse more serious disease. It is usually treated with culling or giving sulfa antibiotics, such as SMZ TMP or sulfadimethoxine.

With either MG or coryza, you can flush the eye with saline and try to press out any pus around the eye. Then twice a day use the saline, and follow that with applying a small dab of either Terramycin ointment from the feed store or plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Close your flock so that no birds are given away or sold. All birds may be contagious carriers even if no others show symptoms.
Can you use the saline solution like I use for my contact lenses?

Back
Top Bottom