Total Newbie and need help getting started in East Texas

roak417

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Hello,
I found this great website about one week ago! I am planning on buying a very small flock (if you can even call 5-10 Chickens a flock) . My plan calls for a coop that will be 5 Feet Tall (Is this too high?) (with an addtional 2 feet (I may drop this to 1 foot)of supports to raise it off the ground. My coop will be 8 feet long & rectangler. My questions if anyone can help will me are, How large of a door should i allow for the chickens entry (the entire back of the coop will be on hinges so i can lift and clean). My wife and I are considering Buff Orpingtons, for a dual purpose bird. Maybe, just for pets and the eggs.
big_smile.png
What Im concerned with is if the climate here will be to rough on them in the summer we are located in East Texas, the breed looks to be very well feathered. Will they be ok in this HOT & Humid climate? We have a special needs son and 2 small girls (3 & 4) and from what we have read the Orpingtons are timid and friendy (so to speak). We want a good bird for around the childern. In case you havent noticed we (I'm) are very new to this and it will be our first attempt at any livestock! Anyone in East Texas that can help? Maybe even sell us a few birds? We are planning on buying the chicks in March. Aslo the coop I have drawn up will have a solar powered fan in the ceiling to help keep temps. down in the summer. I am going to design the coop with larger vents on the rear & sides. With a narrow vent in the front. Thanks for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated.
roak417

Hi, I am from nc. it get hot and humid here in the summer, and cold here in winter, just keep clean water and lots of food and they will be fine, sounds like you have a good plan for the house, but make sure to make it so you can get in very easy, i made mine like a barn with the doors that swing open, and bought roost boxes for then at night. good luck william

welcome-byc.gif

I am WAY further south than you are and have Buff Orpingtons. I also am growing out a few Blue/Black Orpingtons as well. I did run a fan in my coop this past summer, but they were more interested in taking dust bathes and sleeping in the shade of a big cedar tree. My black sexlink didn't have any issues this summer either. I am sure like any animals they can become over heated, but shade, water and a fan can really help.

welcome-byc.gif

If you want good chickens for the kids, Easter egg hens are the best. The roosters are mean though. EE hens want to be held. They actually come running for you. Also, the kids (everyone) will love getting the distinct blue green eggs. You might try just a couple.

Welcome to BYC! As we all know, chickens are addictive!

I have silkies, they are small, friendly, and goofy looking, but most of all they make great pets!

Not so good on the egg production though. But then, neither are cats!

Thank you all i didn't think of EE for around the kids but i think i will try a couple.

Back
Top Bottom