Tired of the soupy run!

Manleysminis

In the Brooder
May 13, 2024
Ordered the pavers, pea gravel, all purpose corse sand and preditor netting. Raising this coop and installing better drainage for my babies. Wish me luck!

Ordered the pavers, pea gravel, all purpose corse sand and preditor netting. Raising this coop and installing better drainage for my babies. Wish me luck!
Those things may or may not take care of your "soup" problem.
If you have puddling in the run, gravel will do a great job of collecting poop and water making a toxic soup of anaerobic 'soup'.

Need to figure out where the water is coming from and keep it from getting into the run in the first place. Gutters, trenches, swales would probably do a better job at solving the problem.
We could offer good advice if you provide more info, including pics of the run/coop and surrounding areas.

In Texas, just raining too much. We are on the down hill slope, so low spit is not issue. Gravel is base of 2 in. With 4 in top corse sand. Wish me luck!

In Texas, just raining too much. We are on the down hill slope, so low spit is not issue. Gravel is base of 2 in. With 4 in top corse sand. Wish me luck!
I'm right there with you! I added another 12 cf of mulch and my run is still wet. WAY too much rain! Limestone county has had 36in in 3 weeks, it's ridiculous! I look forward to pics.

My run, is on a downward slope as well... I just buried a 6" pvc pipe under the bottom section of my run and covered it in large rocks. Any water that gets in the runs... continues down hill and at the lowest point I have the drain. It runs through the rocks and out the pipe and into the yard.

Ditches, dams, drains, gutters and roofs = dry run thats low or on a slope.

I know when you get monsoon rains the battle of the boot sucking mud is real but adding things to the soup will only make your problem worse and stinky.

Grab a shovel. Best time to dig is in the rain and you can see where the water is coming from and where to divert it to.

Back
Top Bottom