~*Third Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatch-Athon*~ all poultry welcome!

Anyone here have a Hovabator 1602N incubator?

For lockdown I have increased the humidity and subsequently the average temperature dropped by about 2-3 degrees, even after allowing 5+ hours for temps to stabilize.

Is the temperature drop related to the thermostat reacting differently due to increased humidity? Or is it more likely that the digital thermometer is thrown off by the increased humidity? I only have 1 thermometer in the incubator now, the electronic one. I remember having the temperature drop on previous hatches but not as large of a drop.

Quote:
my husband at the time didn't want to take things to court.. I did..
Needless to say I think someone had a chat with him when I started pressing the issue.. cause he seemed to want to forget about it pretty quick..

Quote:
Never heard of that one.. all wings looked the same to me as far as basic anatomy...... so the only ones that come to mind are vent sexing (pretty darn easy especially with a magnifying lamp).. feather sexing.. DNA sexing (blood or feathers).. color sexable chicks (sex linked)..
or waiting until someone lays an egg
gig.gif
Pretty sure the only fairly accurate way of sexing is vent sexing and it's still only like 95% for the pros and only at like day old or so especially on banties cause their parts are so tiny
ep.gif
I'll just keep selling them as straight run and it's up to the buyer to either have the means to deal with the potential of getting a roo and for them to choose for themselves. Any I end up growing out a bit, I'll sex once they are 4-5 weeks (at which point, I find I can get it right most of the time given the pinking of combs) and sell them as sexed pullets and cockrels (and when in doubt at that age, I figure they are a cockrel just to be safe).
big_smile.png

Vent sexing is pretty accurate.. especially if you can see what you are looking at (love my magnifying lamp).. DNA is pretty accurate too IF the lab you send the samples to has a clue what they are doing..
One case in point is the lab I used for DNA sexing my first few emu.. they got one wrong.. sexed it as a male when in fact it was a female... laying an egg was a dead giveaway they got that one wrong!

I vent sex all of them now

Quote:
yeah.. it is pretty cool... lol
glad you love your new babies.. wait until they are following you around outside "helping" you do everything...

Today I candled the rest of my turkey eggs I set from my BR hen Amber. Well guess what? ALL 15 eggs WERE FERTILE! 100percent fertility! I am so amazed and happy. I hadn't even been feeding my turkey breeder pellets. Just 16 percent protein CHICKEN FEED lol.

Congrats

drying off after butt cleaning. This one had bad pasty butt and it was stuck in a huge glob on her.

love.gif

Quote:
Ever seen the claw at the end of the wing on an adult emu? lol.. now you know why I call mine Velociraptors!

I do think you can still sue--- negligence and improper procedures is not covered. IT is meant as a deterent against suing-- scaring people into doing nothing. I prefer to get to a teaching hospital . . .

I had a foal that needed emergency surgery-- she was trucked 3 hours to a very good facility. We sat for hours watching the procedure thru a huge window with chairs for a comfortable viewing.
Thats good to know

Anyone here have a Hovabator 1602N incubator?

For lockdown I have increased the humidity and subsequently the average temperature dropped by about 2-3 degrees, even after allowing 5+ hours for temps to stabilize.

Is the temperature drop related to the thermostat reacting differently due to increased humidity? Or is it more likely that the digital thermometer is thrown off by the increased humidity? I only have 1 thermometer in the incubator now, the electronic one. I remember having the temperature drop on previous hatches but not as large of a drop.
Pretty sure it's the hunidty cause when i uped the humidty in my incubator the glass fish thermometer on the eggs stayed at 99 but the electic next to the eggs was reading 95

Quote: HAAHHAAAA, I had stopped trying to look when I heard it was easy to hurt the baby and there were a number of configurations on the inside; I work better if only 2 configurations!!
lol.png

Quote: I had not heard this one before-- about the electronic thermomters altering the reading based on humidity . . . . maybe others will chime in.

Back
Top Bottom