I went and picked up a rat snake from a friend today that found it in his goose coop. Put it under the house where its got shade and water from your he sprinklers. We've been seeing some copper heads under there so maybe it will stay around and do its job.

WOW, A Rat snake can kill a Copperhead???? I never knew this. Hopefully it will get rid of them for you.

Yes. They are constrictors and will kill and eat poisonous snakes. As well as frogs lizards mice rats and baby ducklings :hit in general very helpful, just have to keep baby fowl inside.

Oh and eggs, they love eggs.
I hate snakes! - Second place on my hate list, right after trash-pandas! 🐍

OK, snakes in the sugar jar sounds a bit problematic :)

We were told by a biologist that they are probably slow-worm eggs (the legless lizard whose discovery by the ducks I was already writing about).

In other news.... the ducks made a nest of straw and hay, I guess/hope they are telling us "OK the test stage is over, now the regular production starts".

Today I collected 5 eggs again, some of them possibly from yesterday since one needs to dig a little deeper in the fluffy nest than what I did originally.

I'm storing them in the fridge, unwashed (none were really disgusting so far), fat side up.

They are still on the small side, the one on the left is what I consider to be regular size from reading about it. At this stage the lefty is most likely a double-yolker, others of this size have been like that so far.

View attachment 3565315
Wait until the first duck turns into Karen, squirts a huge poop over your feet and loudly quacks to speak with the manager!
You don't have a drake? - Won't stop Karen from go full broody and rip off your fingers when you try to collect the eggs…
:gig

I hate snakes! - Second place on my hate list, right after trash-pandas! 🐍
I have no problems with them. Then again, there are no venomous snakes here!

When we were moving a pile of paving stone a couple of years ago, we had to be careful not to crush any snakes! They loved hiding in those crannies.

I have no problems with them. Then again, there are no venomous snakes here!

When we were moving a pile of paving stone a couple of years ago, we had to be careful not to crush any snakes! They loved hiding in those crannies.
I haven't seen it happen so far, but i am very sure Pinball Duck's two ducklings from 2021 and the two ducklings that disappeared in broad daylight here fell victim to these scaled worms. I won't kill a snake here, but snakes will be evicted to the other side of the creek…

Wait until the first duck turns into Karen, squirts a huge poop over your feet and loudly quacks to speak with the manager!
You don't have a drake? - Won't stop Karen from go full broody and rip off your fingers when you try to collect the eggs…
:gig

I only collect eggs after letting the ducks out in the morning. Maybe a situation will arise when one will not be ready to go, like you said... until that time I'm enjoying blessed ignorance :)

However I just had this poopy experience when removing Junior's crate from the duck house since she will be free among the others this night for the first time...

When I came back into the people house, there was an almighty stench. I sniffed my hands, yes that's it, wash my hands - wash my hands some more - wash my hands even more - ??? - then I looked at my pants :(

Back
Top Bottom