And i had a chance to examine Buffzilla's nest-mountain, she came out left a large green sausage behind then turned into a quacknado:

I used the opportunity to examine mount duck-nest, candle and count the eggs. Stopped counting at 20 eggs… All in different stages, about eight look like they are about to pip internally, though is is difficult to figure out at what stage an entire black egg (inside) is…

I have also received a dirt-cheap chinese incubator - a styro-foam box with a heating element, a thermostat and very confusing instructions:

No, i am not joining the hatching business! - I just want to make sure that when the inevitable happens and Buffzilla leaves the nest with a bunch of ducklings and abandons a bunch of "bad" eggs behind, that i can take over and maybe rescue the one or the other duckling. She has entirely black eggs as well as some in early development stage in her nest.

And i paid just $30 for that Styro-Foam box…

If i understand the instructions (below, make sure your bladder is empty!) correctly, i need to put water into the two plastic-bags and lay that bag flat at the bottom of the styro-foam box, place the heating element on top of it, attach the temperature sensor. Wrap the eggs in the quilt-material that came with the whole caboodle… 😵🥴
@Pyxis - Hey Hatchi-wan does that make any sense to incubate eggs on some kind of a temperature controlled water-bed?

Here's the »Semi-Automatic Incubator Operating Manual« - translated semi-automatically from Chinese to English by an AI:
full
Okay, I believe they want you to fill *one* bag, then place that sealed one in the other and seal it, minimizing leakage. If this works like a waterbed (and it does appear to!) then the heating element would go on the *bottom* whilst the probe would be on *top*. No idea about this cloth. Honestly, I'd place it on top of the plastic bag then wrap the sper\\\eggs with the rest.

Good luck, and I mean that, lol!

Okay, I believe they want you to fill *one* bag, then place that sealed one in the other and seal it, minimizing leakage. If this works like a waterbed (and it does appear to!) then the heating element would go on the *bottom* whilst the probe would be on *top*. No idea about this cloth. Honestly, I'd place it on top of the plastic bag then wrap the sper\\\eggs with the rest.

Good luck, and I mean that, lol!
they are so funny when broody. My Joy can't wait to come out of her nest so she can chase everyone around.

If you can, separate a piece of the land where your flock is foraging and let junior loose. Then observe how the rest of the flock is behaving: If they rest close to the fence with junior resting on the other side close to them they are ready to be joined.

This is what we are doing (day 2 yesterday and day 3 today).

On both days the other ducks stick close to the mini enclosure all the time. However, while yesterday they would come to the fence and peck at Junior and grab her by the neck through the fence, today the situation is somewhat more peaceful.

There are occassional pecks but all in all the behavior seems less aggressive. Most of the day everybody is relaxing in close promixity of Junior's enclosure. Sleeping a bit, bathing a bit, eating and drinking ... It's a duck's life.

Whenever the flock tries to move away she calls to them (peep peep peep... quite different than the other duck sounds we've experienced in our brief month of life with ducks), they call back and return.

Remembering what you said the other day about girls "mating" on land - this is what happened today. One of the newcomers got mated by a veteran. However, this did not seem to be a sheer dominance move - the newcomer kept coming up to the veteran and squatting in front of her, inviting her. The other non-Junior newcomes is behaving similarly.

Well, we didn't really have a hot hand with this purchase, we got a baby and 2 floozies :p What must have been going on at that 200-duck farm??

Back
Top Bottom