View attachment 3837314these 2 lovely ladies arrived yesterday. Olive and Acorn 💕. and it just so turns out that the eggs they are laying now are likely have been fertilized by a fawn and white runner Drake (before a fox attacked his flock , and these two are the only survivors) but while I was brainstorming on what to do about my extremely broody chocolate Orpington hen, I realized I could put these duck eggs under her…. so what do I do? I have these two new ducks separated from my other ducks. I have collected two eggs so far. Do I let them sit on the counter on their side? until I have maybe eight or so? The longer I wait before putting them under my hen., the longer her brood timehas to be to hatch them out. View attachment 3837314
In a few years this is what your new girl [Cayuga] will look like. A speckled pup I mean duck. They are sure pretty ladies. IMG_2808.jpeg

Are they female and male and if so how can you tell in Geese?
Because they are Pilgrim geese, the goslings (and adults!) are different colours. So yes, they are a pair. Colt is the lighter coloured one and he'll be white as an adult, and Winney is the darker one and will be grayish when she matures.

Here's a pic from Wikipedia:

1716222778399.jpeg

Because they are Pilgrim geese, the goslings (and adults!) are different colours. So yes, they are a pair. Colt is the lighter coloured one and he'll be white as an adult, and Winney is the darker one and will be grayish when she matures.

Here's a pic from Wikipedia:

View attachment 3838162
Thanks for sharing. It's neat that you can sex them young instead of having to wait for what seems ever that I am doing with these Rouen ducks that I have. They sure are cutie pies.

Using the convenient stretch of dry weather here to work in the garden:
full

Tilled the squash bed

full

Planted Buttercup-, Butternut-, Acorn-Squash and long green Cucumber​

I have recently discovered the benefits of using grass-cuttings as mulching material. It keeps the soil moist and suppresses the weeds somewhat. That's the green stuff in the squash-bed.

Back
Top Bottom