The Olive-Egger thread!

18233_2009_0204family0050.jpg

I am also starting this project.I am going to try a BCM roo over my EEers that are laying beautiful blue eggs.I am also going to use a cuckoo maran roo that came from a very dark egg over some of my EEers to try to get the barred for early sexing.I guess although in the future but I will breed another BCM roo to the offspring I keep.I will probably go through alot of girls to get what I am looking for.My EEers look identical to the pictures of MaranGuys so hopefully I will have half as much luck as he did.

I just love those barred and beared birds. When I was starting to really get into chickens I went to a small local hatchery that was selling out and I asked for an EE hen. They came back with a cuckoo hen that was bearded but had a single comb. She layed light brown eggs so I sold her. That was before I knew anything about genetics. At the time I also had a pair of blue ameraucanas and If I knew then what I know now I could have crossed them and gotten a sexlink then mated the best roo back to her.

I have seem Dipsy's cuckoo blue eggers and I just saw maransguy's olive egger and I think they could be considered ameraucanas. Maranguys hen could be a brown red and the cuckoo ones could be cuckoo, lol. Now I dont mean to change the subject but it seems like its happening anyway. I think that more cuckoo ameraucanas should be bred even if they dont match the leg color requirement because if you look at cuckoo polish and cuckoo rose combs and cuckoo dutch, they had to make an exception to the standard because with sexlink barring you will never be able to get blue legs.

Okay now back to the topic, I really like the olive eggs. We had some SLW x ameraucana crosses that laid a darker green egg that I liked but they were mean little buggers.

I had 2 olive egger hens, and 2 roosters. They were a black australorp x EE cross. The girls laid lovely, very large olive green eggs. The boys were big, beautiful, calm roos. I don't have any pics of the hens, who were solid black and muffless like a BA, but I have a lot of pics of the roos. I couldn't tell the olive egger hens from their BA mama.

No pics of the eggs either, sorry.

This is Rocky
13038_roosters_017.jpg

And this is Fluffy
13038_roosters_016.jpg

So my question is if you get the offspring say from a BCM and a EEer and the eggs of the offspring lay a green but not very dark egg should you breed this offspring again to a dark egger like a maran until you receive success?

that is exactly what you do. I don't think you need to cross back for blue egg gene ever again, once you have it. Theoretically you could have birds that look exactly like BCM but pea combed that would lay very dark olive eggs after a few generations crossing back on dark egg lines.

Back
Top Bottom