The birb king's chickens

Pics
Ok so as you all know, broody hen had one baby chick yesterday and one about to hatch. There's 2 more broody hens in the nest box and the mom is in a seperate enclosed spot inside the coop, and I move the chicks over with her as they hatch. This morning before schoo I went out and checked on everyone and it wasn't looking good at all. Maddy and her 1st chick were fine in their own spot, but they egg in the nest box that was about to hatch was cold, and the chick wasn't moving or peeping. I guess the hens didn't sit on it well and it got cold. I thought it was dead until I heard a faint chirp. I pulled off the top of the shell so it could get its head out. It was weak, cold, and barley alive. I put it back under the broody hens to get warm, but I really thought I was gonna come home to a dead chick. But thankfully that didn't happen, and I actually came home to a happy healthy dried off little guy! Now she is raising 2 chicks and the third and final egg is hatching right now... And it looks white!
20240514_173500.jpg
20240514_173620.jpg

The third chick just hatched and it is a white one! This is really cool because I don't have any white adult seramas, so I wonder where it came from. It's kinda perfect though because now there's a pure brown chick, a pure white chick, and a chick that's half brown half white.

You know, when the serama hens started hatching their chicks, it started off as an amazing fun adventure. But it quickly turned into a life threatening emergency. In case you haven't heard, I moved the third chick in with Maddy this morning. It crawled under her, everything seemed fine, then I went back inside for the day because I wasn't feeling well. But when I came back outside this afternoon, the new chick was laying on the ground, skin torn off both sides of its head. I thought it was dead, but it was still alive so I rushed it to the incubator. About 15 minutes later, it had its eyes open and was moving around! I really hope it is able to heal! As for the other 2 chicks, I took them away from Maddy and put them in a brooder. She is now banned from being a mother. This is what the chick looked like. It is very injured, bit hopefully can make a full recovery.
20240515_154112.jpg

Although I love letting the hens raise their chicks, after this incident I'm not so sure. I will no longer let any hens raise chicks unless it's an experienced hen I can trust, such as Yokie Jr.

Back
Top Bottom