Texas

A pair im pretty proud of. They are hatchery sapian red jungle fowl...or in other words, game mixes lol. These two are gonna lead my first free range flock. Them plus 2 leghorn pullets...and anyone else that gets evicted from the main coup. Still havent named these guys but im thinking hanzel and gretel

I think im about ready to start focusing on one breed...once this last batch gets integrity ill be set on my layer flock. Next will be to decide on a breed and work towards SOP for showing...anyone have any reccomendations for a texas weather breed? I really dont want to do ameracaunas...id rather something a little more exotic but still dual purpose so my culls will still be of use to the fam.
What if you focused on one of the American heritage conservation breeds? Here is a link to their site. If you like the idea, you can narrow your search down to the ones best suited for warm weather.

http://albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#chickens

Edited: Redcaps look pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Hi, I've been on this thread awhile and just realized this thread was here. Just stopping in to say Hi from East TX. Will be looking to start a new flock in about a month after we finish converting the shed to a coop. Down to one lone BCM hen. Can't wait to have more hens again!!!
D.gif
Would love to meet some more people who are chicken crazy like me!

What if you focused on one of the American heritage conservation breeds?  Here is a link to their site.  If you like the idea, you can narrow your search down to the ones best suited for warm weather.

http://albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#chickens

Edited:  Redcaps look pretty interesting.

Thats exactly kinda where i wanted to go with this! Thank you tammy! I have read about redcaps before...the only issue is actually getting some to start with. Im not exactly "hooked up" in th chicken world so too rare is hard to come by, lol!

Hi there, what types of chickens did you get? im curious because my family and I bought an 18 acre farm, we still have so much to do, but chickens are our specialty. Tame, 20 that are laying and 8 that will be soon....
Howdy and
welcome-byc.gif
from Rosenberg, TX!!

Hmmmmmm, 18 acres will handle chicken math very well.
big_smile.png
What kind of chickens do you have?

Lisa :)

Hi, I've been on this thread awhile and just realized this thread was here. Just stopping in to say Hi from East TX. Will be looking to start a new flock in about a month after we finish converting the shed to a coop. Down to one lone BCM hen. Can't wait to have more hens again!!!
D.gif
Would love to meet some more people who are chicken crazy like me!
Hi Dara! Welcome aboard. You have come to the right place. We have some really great people on this forum!

Lisa :)

Back
Top Bottom