Temperature dropped in incubator to 73

mspj

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Xenia, OH
I'm on day 15 of my first hatch, last night I found the temperature at 73. I fixed the problem (grandson had turned off power strip) and this morning I am back up to 101, I am using a still air incubator. I turned and rotated this morning is there any way of telling if they are ok or not? What should I do?

mine dropped a couple weeks ago, found it got unplugged somehow, and i thought i lost all of them but i let them go and they started to hatch about 3 days late. i am having a slow hatch of about 1-3 per day but they are still hatching. tomorrow will be a week past the hatch date, im up to about 25% and am happy i got that but they are still going so dont give up!

those tricky grandsons! I read about how some lady went to check on her eggs the were gone! then she had to go all around the house looking for them. one in the garden, one under his pillow, one buried outside. she lost that batch.

you should be okay it may be a delayed hatch if anything

Last edited:
there was planned power out in my area, one day before due to hatch. I think that is the critical time. I cuddled my eggs- in a cloth bag I made. and the next day they started to hatch. here's their pic. they are older now. I placed 2 eggs in bator and got 2 chicks. Frizzle mixes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement! Hope they are alright, and I wouldn't mind a day or two late hatch. I started with 12 and I am now sure that only 6 have little one in them after candling this afternoon, those I am keeping in the incubator. I have been having a hard time determining if they were even doing anything, this is my first hatch, but now I can see a nice dark area filling most of the shell.

that dark area is good. it is best to see all dark in pointy end by day 16. remember when they make a outer pip, they rest and sometimes don't even move in their egg for another 24 hrs. after. this doesn't mean the chick is struggling, it just needs to absorb its yolk get its lungs strong and sleep. when it gets bored of being in that egg it will finish coming out.

I have been so nervous about losing these chick after the temp dropped I just had to look again tonight. I have movement in one maybe two, hopefully the others were just sleeping! Such a relief!

Just candled the eggs for the last time before due date. Two I could see moving inside, the other four have grown as all I can see is darkness and the air cell which has grown over the last 3 days and I have seen two of the four moving in the incubator. So I think I can safely say I have 6 baby chicks at this time, I know other things can still occur. Lock down has officially begun!

Friday - Hurry Up and get here!!!

I have my first pip, a little worried as it is in the middle of the egg. I just looked again and it is getting a little bigger so hopefully everything will be ok!

Back
Top Bottom