Swollen chicken feet with white bumps

SueHasChickens

Chirping
Feb 4, 2018
107D65E1-2F23-4817-B628-F8D7FC078320.jpeg
70B13177-8EDB-4DAB-8212-E809E9628FFA.jpeg
Hi,
The chicken is 18 months old, eating ok, looks a little smaller than the other 3 chickens now. She is a Bar Rock she eats family farm 15. She has had swollen feet for about 3 weeks. We have been soaking her feet with Epsom salt for 15-20 min a day sometimes twice a day and applying furazone. Here’s some pictures and the underside of her feet don’t have any scabs. Does anyone know what this is? Thank you,
Sue

Can you get any more pics, and one with the feet together?
Her feet look swollen which can be from several things, such as a joint infection from bumblefoot, mycoplasma synovitis (MS,) or another type of bacteria. Gout can cause swollen feet as well. The bumps could be from bumblefoot, but they also could be from pus underneath the skin from MS, or even from something like ant bites. Where are you located?

Greetings SueHasChickens,

It appears your chicken has gout.

Too much uric acid is being produced, but not eliminated from the body.

There are so many things that can cause gout.
Causes: feed/nutritional, vitamin A deficiency, protein exceeding 30%, chemicals, viruses, previous diseases, low water intake, pesticides, high antibiotic use and anticoccidials, even problems during the incubation period of the chick can cause gout in the future.

What can be done to help your girl?

Isolate her in a hospital crate or somewhere safe and out of drafts, so that you can monitor her. Provide good supportive care.

Diet: feed, fresh kale, and broccoli, shredded carrot, cooked sweet potatoe, toast with real butter, cooked egg. All these foods are high in vitamin A, which may help.

Therapy: coconut water (known for healing gout) or Apple Cider Vinegar - in her waterer for half of the day, then switch to fresh water.

Monitor her water intake, she needs to drink water to eliminate the high levels of uric acid.

I know it will be difficult, but try to figure out what may have caused her gout. There is also the possibilty that this may be something that you will have to treat periodically throughout her life. Take time to do some research of your own, you may find other things that will also help.

These are my thoughts on gout, I hope they are helpful.

God Bless and peace to you and your little hen. :)

Greetings SueHasChickens,

It appears your chicken has gout.

Too much uric acid is being produced, but not eliminated from the body.

There are so many things that can cause gout.
Causes: feed/nutritional, vitamin A deficiency, protein exceeding 30%, chemicals, viruses, previous diseases, low water intake, pesticides, high antibiotic use and anticoccidials, even problems during the incubation period of the chick can cause gout in the future.

What can be done to help your girl?

Isolate her in a hospital crate or somewhere safe and out of drafts, so that you can monitor her. Provide good supportive care.

Diet: feed, fresh kale, and broccoli, shredded carrot, cooked sweet potatoe, toast with real butter, cooked egg. All these foods are high in vitamin A, which may help.

Therapy: coconut water (known for healing gout) or Apple Cider Vinegar - in her waterer for half of the day, then switch to fresh water.

Monitor her water intake, she needs to drink water to eliminate the high levels of uric acid.

I know it will be difficult, but try to figure out what may have caused her gout. There is also the possibilty that this may be something that you will have to treat periodically throughout her life. Take time to do some research of your own, you may find other things that will also help.

These are my thoughts on gout, I hope they are helpful.

God Bless and peace to you and your little hen. :)
Oh! Wow! Thank you for your help! I will try the things you recommended! God bless you! My little chicken is so sweet it breaks my heart to see her not well.

I’m so confused. I thought I answered this thread and asked about gout. Is this posted twice?
Yes I apologize, I’m new and the threads got confusing. I’m so sorry to take any of your time and I appreciate your help and the time you have given.

Can you get any more pics, and one with the feet together?
Her feet look swollen which can be from several things, such as a joint infection from bumblefoot, mycoplasma synovitis (MS,) or another type of bacteria. Gout can cause swollen feet as well. The bumps could be from bumblefoot, but they also could be from pus underneath the skin from MS, or even from something like ant bites. Where are you located?
Hi,
Thank you for your help. We are in South Florida.

Oh! Wow! Thank you for your help! I will try the things you recommended! God bless you! My little chicken is so sweet it breaks my heart to see her not well.

I can tell that you care very much about your flock. The epsom salt soaks that you are providing for her feet, are also therapeutic by giving some pain relief. If you don't see results from the coconut water or ACV, you may want to try some milkthistle. Milkthistle is an herb that helps to detoxify the liver and support it's function. I have had good success using it in the water of my hen that has a reproductive disorder, causing a build up of ascites in her belly. Her condition is incurable, but treatable. Like people with gout, there will be flareups, or your girl may recover without any further issues. I like to keep a bottle of "Lily of the Desert, Aloe Vera 80 Detoxifying Formula", it has milkthistle in it. The aloe vera is an immune system booster, as well as, the other herbs in it. One table spoon per gallon of water is all it takes. It can be used as a support when caring for sick chickens.

I hope this was helpful, please post updates. Especially if it you find out that there was a different cause to her illness. This is important for the learning process of the BYC members.

We can all learn from each other. :thumbsup

God Bless :)

Back
Top Bottom