Suddenly Lame - 12wk old pullet

CluckinAround1623

In the Brooder
May 9, 2024
What would cause a 12wk old pullet to suddenly go lame? She was fine yesterday but today she doesn't want to use her legs and when she does it's almost like she's drunk. We have 25 and she's the only one doing this. I tried good ole Google and it said egg bound, but this young? She's not laying yet. No injuries, no mites.

If it is Mareks, is there any way to keep the others from catching it? I'll quarantine her, but how do I disinfect the coop? Am I able to vaccinate them, not knowing if they've already been vaccinated?

If it is Mareks, is there any way to keep the others from catching it? I'll quarantine her, but how do I disinfect the coop? Am I able to vaccinate them, not knowing if they've already been vaccinated?
If she has it, everyone has already been exposed. Where does your feed store get the chicks? I believe the standard for chick for public sale to not vaccinate. The vaccine doesn't actually stop the spread or them from catching the disease.
Is it possible she got into anything toxic or moldy?
I'd try vitamin therapy, give 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, any brand from the grocery store is fine.

I called TSC, they get their chicks from Townline Hatchery. I have an inquiry out to Townline to see if they're vaccinated. I'm going to say probably not though. Nothing toxic or moldy unless she found something while free ranging. I will try vitamins.

Chicks from TSC are not vaccinated. Hopefully, it is just an injury or something other than Mareks. At her age, Mareks should be ruled out. Read a lot about it. Make sure that she is near food and water, and able to get them. A chicken sling or chair may be helpful in that with periods of rest in between. Here is a thread with examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
If some day you lose her or cull her, have a necropsy done by your state vet lab where they can also test for Mareks. Look for any mold in food or toxic plants in your chicken area. Do you have a rooster who might have hurt her? What are you feeding? Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://vetmedbiosci.colostate.edu/vdl/colorado-avian-health-program/mareks-disease/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Here is a list of all state vet labs that do necropsies, and you can call now ahead of time for details:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Last edited:
As of last night, she's still having trouble. We gave her b vitamins and an electrolyte mix (I did make sure it didn't already have vitamin b in it). She is eating and drinking. Her legs aren't paralyzed and neither are her wings, no head tremors. However her legs are weak and her hocks look swollen. So I dug into more articles, read the ones about mareks and looked at other possibilities. She is sitting more like a dog with her legs propping her on her rump. Instead of splayed like you see with mareks. Almost everything says egg bound but she's not laying yet, much too young at 12weeks. Finally I found an article about Mycoplasma synoviae stating they will sit like a dog and could cause swollen joints. This one is a respiratory illness though and none of the other symptoms match. Ugh..

Mycoplasma Synoviae crossed my mind when you mentioned her swollen hocks. MS doesn't always present with respiratory symptoms. Lameness and swollen hocks are main indicators distingishing MS from MG, where respiratory symptoms are most common. Here is an excellent article explaining all about mycoplasma.
https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/blog/protecting-your-flock-what-you-need-to-know-about-mg-ms/#:~:text=MENU-,Protecting,-Your Flock – Decoding

The article doesn't mention Denagard (tiamulin) as a medication to treat mycoplasma. It is a swine medication used off-label for poultry in the U.S., but is approved and has been used to treat mycoplasma in poultry in Europe and other countries for over 30 years. There are numerous threads on BYC discussing using Denagard to treat Mycoplasma. It is still available OTC unlike most other antibiotics, which are now RX only in the U.S. The treatment dosage is 3 teaspoons per gallon of water for 5 days. (change the water every day) The dosage to prevent symptoms from reappearing is 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of water for 3 days each month. (Change the water every day.) The med is very bitter, so add apple juice, honey, etc to ensure chickens drink the medicated water.

You will need to have a tracheal swab tested by a lab to confirm MS, or a state lab necropsy performed if your pullet dies. Mycoplasma is usually not fatal, but it is also known as Chronic Respiratory Disease because symptoms can linger for months, and return during cooler temperatures or during times of stress.
1715771634155.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom