String Around Leg

Kdchapman

Hatching
May 18, 2024
I have a chick about 6 weeks old that I found had gotten herself wrapped up in string. It was around both legs, but I was able to remove it from one. One of her legs I believe still has string, but it is so deep that I cannot get it off. Her leg is swollen, but still is holding color. I have soaked her in a 1:10 solution of betadine for five minutes. She is still interested in drinking and eating, but I dont think her crop is full. She doesnt like to put weight on it and is mostly laying down. Is there anything I can do to help dissolve the string? At this point I think it has swollen over it / scabbed over it.

I cant quite figure out how to get under the skin now and remove the string. The dark in the picture is dried blood, not the string.

Attachments

• IMG_9512.jpeg
    IMG_9512.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9511.jpeg
    IMG_9511.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9510.jpeg
    IMG_9510.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 6
Yes, it is important to dispose of feed bag strings just because of this danger. They also can eat it and get the tongue caught and swallow it.
It looks like the string is gone, but if you think it is still there, or it is a hair, take a pair of scissors with a point, and go under where it might be. Hopefully the legs will be okay, since the circulation does not appear bad. Let us know how she gets along.

Yes, it is important to dispose of feed bag strings just because of this danger. They also can eat it and get the tongue caught and swallow it.
It looks like the string is gone, but if you think it is still there, or it is a hair, take a pair of scissors with a point, and go under where it might be. Hopefully the legs will be okay, since the circulation does not appear bad. Let us know how she gets along.
It wasn't the string bag. I have them in the house so as to keep them separated from my older flock until they get bigger. I tried to explore for it today, but was unable to locate it due to the swelling.

Some people also use leg bands on baby chicks to tell them apart, and many times they become embedded as the chick grows. Hairs are the worst things, since we sometimes can’t see them. Let us know how the chick gets along.

Back
Top Bottom