Splay or slipped tendon or????? Need help

scooby

Songster
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
sevier valley,utah
My little bantam finally hatched a nest it is mixed of her eggs and my rir. Any ways I had 2 chicks that hatched last we believe( she nested under the coop so we didn't know) one will not put its right leg down. It keeps it held up and limps around. The other will not stand at all and just wobbles around on her belly . I thought splay leg at first so we hobbled them. Ben about a day and a half in hobbled with no results. The one still holding the leg up and other won't stand. Please I need advice.... I am afraid I am treating for wrong thing. Thanks in advance

Still have hobbles on,
1532713946187569576496.jpg
15327139829981450997863.jpg
should I take them off?

I think the first one, holding its right leg up, is a slipped tendon. I don't think a hobble will help. She'll learn to hop around on it really well though. (I've had a chickie with a slipped tendon)

As for the one not standing...is it showing any health issues? I would think splayed leg too. Though, I don't know enough about that issue (luckily, I haven't encountered that yet)

It can help to start some poultry vitamins whenever there is a leg or foot problem. You have some pasty butt happening in the second photo which should be washed off (you probably knew that already.)

Here r pics of the grey ones leg I have never had to deal with tendons before but I tried rolling her leg and I can't feel or see anything moving but you can tell that the leg hock is swollen or misinformed. It feels hard no movement of tendons or anything.

Orange chick I thought splay to but after hobbled for 2 days she still is like that and that is how she moves around also. They have had life lytes and probiotic in water since 2nd day when I took them from mom.
1532716279315791009979.jpg
1532716350157520909249.jpg

If needed I can take hobbles off and video. But its about the same movement the orange chick just has her legs out to sides a little more

Awwww, poor little things. Your chipmunk one is very reluctant to put weight on her left foot which tells me that there is pain there, not just a splayed leg. When you manipulate the legs, do they behave normally? In other words can you straighten and bend the leg and have it move as it should? For both chicks?
I would also get some 'neat' nutri drench vitamins or vitamins with B's into both. I am hoping that WVduckchick is around.

Back
Top Bottom